Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad world DNS pointing to loopback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2002
US

What can be done about a DNS MX record that is registered in the real world as the loopback 127.0.0.1 ?

Jeff

Do a whois for the domain name @ Network solutions or another registrar and either call or email the technical contact.

Try

I find sam is about the best in this type of problem. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

How about changing it from 127.0.0.1 to the address of the mail server?

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Let me add to the original message.

The domains I believe were intentionally set to the 127.0.0.1 (for purposes of skipping spam or anti-relay) for example check out cryptsoft.com and it's associated "a" record for localhost and related "mx" record.

A client of mine had a mail server going nuts because it was trying to send NDR's to these domains but was looping because of the 127.0.0.1 pointing back to itself...

Jeff

At the moment I can't query the MX record for that domain as neither of the authoritive name servers, ns.buydomains.com or this-domain-for-sale.com are responding.

As a rule it's best never to send NDR's from a mail server as this itself can be abused and used to 'DoS' another mail server by flooding it with NDR's. If your client has been receiving spam then the best bet would be to track the originators IP address and report it to the ISP's abuse department.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back