Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Sectors in Hard Disk Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

s786

Technical User
Oct 19, 2000
IN
Dear Sir,
I would like to know that is there any programme for removing bad sectors of my Hard Disk and Floppy Disk

You really can't "remove" a bad sector. They are permanent. All you can do is mark the sector as "bad" so the operating system will ignore it when writing to the disk.

Scandisk and most other disk repair utilities will do this for you. You just have to remember to run the utility on a regular basis.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

"What this country needs is more free speech worth listening to."[tt]
Hansell B. Duckett[/tt]​

FYI

Alt255 is right on base!

Just to add a forethought that doesn't become an hindsight nightmare:

If I were you, I would make sure you start backing up any data you don't want to lose in the future. The hard drive could last a long time after marking the bad sectors or it could be the beginning of a hard drive breakdown. In any event, if you have files you don't want to lose making backups is not a bad idea anyway!

Lori ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

I have used the lastest version of TuffTest to low level format a hard disk with bad sectors. What this will do is to de-assign the sectors that are bad and substitute reserve sectors for the bad ones. After the low level format ScanDisk will no longer report bad sectors. This is fine if you have an anomolus bad sector. But if this is the beginning of drive failure, bad sectors will reappear quickly. If this is the case, trash the drive, it won't be worth the agro.

Having said this I would reiterate lgebhart's sage advice Backup!! Also keep in mind that lowlevel formatting is totally destructive, so you will have to save anything on the drive that you want to keep.

tkral

Just to chime in, heed lgebhart's advice and backup. Do a low-level format. If you still see bad sectors after that, replace ASAP.

I had such a 'break down drive'. The operating system got problems so I ran scandisk. It found 'some' bad blocks.

Then i kept on using the computer, but only a week after, more errors developed. So i decided to not take backup but simply STOP using the computer! Then i got a new drive immediately, booted on that and copied the data.

I stored the bad drive as backup, but after using it only 2-3 times it died totally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back