Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Power Supply or Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLF74

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2007
US
We have a computer here that was installed/configured before I took over this position. It's a custom build so I can't give you a make/model.

Over the weekend it just stopped working. It will not power on. No lights, fans..nothing. How do I determine if it's a bad power supply or motherboard?

The motherboard (Gigabyte GA-81DX) has a single solid amber light on when I plug in the power cord.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

Well the first thing to do is try another power supply.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

The power supply is no longer manufactured so I can't just go and buy a new one immediately. Here is where I lack the knowledge...can I use a different power supply to test it? I thought the power supply had to be identical.

Basicly there are 2 types of power supplys AT which is an old type and hasen't been used in PC's for about 5 years. And ATX which is what is most likely what you have. Being a custom build you should be able to get one that has the same wattage or higher. It depends on how old the machine is.

Wayne

The power supply is an AOpen ATX-300GU. Besides wattage what other factors do I need to keep in mind when finding one that will work for me?

Thanks for all the help..I do appreciate it.

Agree with all of the above. Power supplies are usually cheaper and easier to install than mobos. If it isn't the power supply, you will need one sooner or later, anyway.

Go high on power. I've seen a couple of great deals on tiger recently.

I would say any thing over 400 watts would be good. If you know any one with a spare that you know works it would be good to use for a test.If it works great if not no money spent.

Wayne

One thing you do need to look at is whether your motherboard takes a 20 or 24 pin socket....the newer PS's have the option that is called 20+4 that basically gives you a 20 pin connector and a separate 4 pin connector. some of the power supplies have a straight 24 pin and there is an issue of getting the 24 pin to fit a 20 pin... adapters are made for this scenerio. the reverse can be true.

good luck

Thanks everyone! I did find another 300 watt power supply from an old PC that worked. Only temporary but hey...I won't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back