Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad NIC Driver = Memory Dump NT Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyt1513

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2002
US
I disabled the 3Com 3c905 bt tx in the BIOS on the System board. Then uninstalled the drivers in NT. Then powered down put in a new PCI 3Com 3c905b tx 10/100... Booted up installed the drivers for the new card, specified IP address, etc.

Asks me to reboot, then I get the blue screen of death, it went to the logon screen then memory dump. IRQ error, it is definitely the NIC driver. So I do not have the last good configuration anymore. I cannot do a restore from backups because there is no network connectivity. How can I get it to boot up.

I dont want to install a new operating system on the E: partition and then do a restore. Time for a migration to 2000 and recovery console.

Please help before engineer gets back to build machine on Mon morning.

Can you go back to the original configuration? Can you put the old NIC back in and get into BIOS and go back to where you were? You didn't leave a backdoor open [ backups ].

Yes I can, but it will still try to load the drivers for the second NIC that I installed. I think I am going to just install a quick OS on another drive and do a restore of the C: Drive. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back