Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bad MOBO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlantisburn

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
US
I recently obtained a K7t pro version 1. I assumed the power supply was bad because when I turned the power on CPU fan would fan and various leds would light up. Power switch would not work neither. I bought a 550 power supply, reset bios by moving jumper then back to original position. Power switch now works to turn on computer, you can hear HD spin light comes on on CDROM but doesn't work and can't turn off computer by switch on computer. Blank screen on good monitor as well, and no beeps from computer. Any thoughts

if you haven't already done so, disconnect all from mb except p/s and processor. Remove memory, disconnect drive cables and any cards in slots. Also disconnect p/s from all devices but m/b. boot and see if get beeps. if no beeps bad m/b or processor. otherwise put pieces back in one at a time and see if can id bad part

Make sure you have the correct MB connections setup up for the buttons. This sounds like you have the reset switch wired incorrectly and the MB is in a constant reset mode. If those check out okay, I'd start looking at the BIOS configuration, then start troubleshooting hardware after that. Good luck.

1. Grounding out the motherboard is causing a short.

2. Bad Video Card.

3. Bad Memory.

4. CPU Fan not plugged in on the motherboard.

Try clearing BIOS.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Still nothing. Mobo, Speaker, switch, cpu and fan are only items in use.

Stored in garage. Replaced video card with older one(4mb)and computer seems to work fine. So grounding or bad card is the winner. Thanks all!

OK, Maybe not! Powered up computer, even changed video cards. Nothing on monitor. Computer does boot up. Even the 4 green LEDs light up. There is 1 beep on booting up. Board seems to be grounded. My other thought is to check under/behind mother board for possible loose screw causing unwanted grounding.

Maybe so! Older Monitor worked for days then went black. Traded monitors and computer works agian. Go figure! I tried other monitor when I first got the computer and they worked on other computers, Work but still confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back