Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bad cpu?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig1104

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
US
I lent out a pc and when i got it back it won't boot up.
the bios sees all the drives and assigns the irqs then it stops. Am I correct to suspect the cpu>?

Typically a bad cpu you'll get nothing, just power light and fans running. Nothing on the screen or beep codes. Open it up to make sure nothing came loose in transport. If all is fine try a boot disk with the hard drive disconnected. Still no go then reset bios to defaults and try.

craig1104,

Typically, just after the Power On Self-Test, when your computer detects various connected devices, the next step is to boot up the operating system from the hard drive.

It sounds more like a case of a bad hard drive/cable/IDE controller than anything CPU related.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Thanks for the responses, but I have tried everything you have suggested, with the exception of disconnecting the hard drive. The machine won't even go to the floppy for a start up diskette. I am wondering if the floppy is the problem since it just sits there with the light on but it doesn't access the floppy diskette that is in it. It wouldn't even boot up from a cd...

Thanks
Craig

craig1104,

Have you tried disconnecting every device except the one that you want to boot from? You may be able to find the problem device through eliminination.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

When the floppy light stays lit as soon as you turn on the PC, that indicates that the floppy cable that goes to the motherboard was connected backwards.

Unlike IDE cables which have connector guide notches and a red stripe on the cable to help you make sure you get it in the right direction, the floppy is easy to reverse. Check that first.

I would wonder why the person who had the PC previously was messing with that connector...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Check the master/slave jumper on all the drives, it may have fallen off in transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back