Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bad connection to games servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagehman

Technical User
Jun 9, 2002
GB
Hi,

First I'll explain everything leading up to this problem;

I installed my home network and enabled file and printer sharing.

just after my modem got fried by lightning, so i got a new one. The Diamond pro vcc, (model: sup2761, NOT 2760 even though it has the same name....).

I get really good connection speeds, better than before at 46,667bps. But for some reason i started getting really bad connections to countertrike game servers, although everything else (downloading, surfing, etc etc) seems fine. First i tried to see if it was my ISP by signing up for a 0845 ISP. on installing the .ins setup file i get the message (roughly) "File and printer sharing is using the same tcp/ip protocol as your internet connection".

AHA! thought I, so i uninstalled my network card, removed the drivers and took out the card from the pci slot. I also remove all unnecassary components in network configuration (leaving only dial-up adapter, tcp/ip and microsoft family logon client).

This improved the situation, there are now times when my ping in counterstrike is fine. But most of the time it is the same as before, really high pings of 4000+.

Does anyone know what is causing this? its very annoying. I'm sure it's my computer as its the same for the 0845 isp i signed up for. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

-Alex-

I forgot to meantion, i tried downloading the lates drivers, but apparantly my modem is too new and doesnt have any new ones! Also downloaded EasyMTU to see if that would help, it hasn't.

Have you tried disabling file and print sharing? To the future!!

~zon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back