Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'bad command or file name' on startup 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray436

Technical User
Apr 11, 2000
CA
the last thing executed on startup of my WIn98SE box:

c>J
bad command or file name

of course this is a because the "J" is somewhere as a line in a batch file, but I cannot find the line. Not in autoexec, config.sys, looked thru every thing with sysedit. Where else could it be hiding?

no problems seem to result, but I would like to remove it.

thanks

Ray

Open a Dos window,type SET (no cmdline options), hit return
You will get a verbose listing of your environment variables.
At the bottom you should have CMDLINE= <something>
I'm betting that will be doskey/macro or similar..
At the prompt type doskey/? and a verbose listing of options will be listed.

Examine these and I think you will find the answer to your unusal prompt.

NOTE: $* Symbol replaced by everything following macro name on the command line..

Another &quot;shot in the dark&quot;

GL

well, well, well. look what I found.

Decided to have another go, inspired by the input generated by all you great folks. grabbed a beer ( seems to help the investigative process, Inspector Morse was right !! ), and I found the file causing the problem.

inside Winstart.bat there is one line:

@C:\WINDOWS\tmpcpyis.bat

tmpcpyis.bat contains this:

J ©–Í&KÑÒ&êÐÌ&ôÐø&%þZ6Z<bi$<ˆH.™€-…C<š˜7Aƒ‡:;‹¦H@ƒ†69—OшÂH Y99—Ÿ‡j °‘Í&HÑÍ&JÑ0ˆe2z`69“N37{x:4ŽrCúwW@;šŠ=2au#bd

notice the &quot;J&quot; ???

this is what microsoft has to say about this:

apparently installshield blesses you with this lovely little file. comment it out of winstart.bat, rename winstart.bat to winstart.old, whatever method you choose, problem begone!!

ah the joys of the hops. mystery solved.

thanks to all those who helped in the quest!!

Ray

oh yes, I should say that bjverzal was on the mark. When trying his suggestion I never went far enough. since the winstart.bat only had one line, I never opened up the file called in that line in an editor. credit where credit due.

ray436,

I tell you this. I am no less relieved and happy than you are. Thank you very much for your report on the resolution on the problem. You deserve amply a star of your own.

regards - tsuji

thanks again all, for the star too! we all deserve a star!
bjverzal..what'll it be Bass or Harp's eh? :D

Cya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back