Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'bad command or file name' on startup 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray436

Technical User
Apr 11, 2000
CA
the last thing executed on startup of my WIn98SE box:

c>J
bad command or file name

of course this is a because the "J" is somewhere as a line in a batch file, but I cannot find the line. Not in autoexec, config.sys, looked thru every thing with sysedit. Where else could it be hiding?

no problems seem to result, but I would like to remove it.

thanks

Write Down the lines in autoexec.bat
delete it & create new one
& try it should be ok

Use the step thru choice to process the stuff one line at a time. You will have a better idea that way. You may also need to look into autoexec.w40 if you have it.
This can be in other batch files called from autoexec. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

thanks, tried interactive start, no luck. redid autoexec too. don't have the autoexec.w40 file. maybe it's part of my AV batch files? or the loader for my DSL connection? anyhoo, its being called from something that loads on start right before you get the hourglass with no desktop, so its probably one of the last things to come up.

thnaks again, will keep looking.

ya, it was the step by step confirmation by setting this option in the system configuration utility. Norton does not find any viruses.

Hello, ray436.

I do not believe there is anything mysterious or anything to speculate upon. Post your autoexec.bat and I believe high probability is that we can locate the problem.

regards - tsuji

all that is in there is this:

@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /Startup

I don't believe either that there is anything wrong happening, but it is just one of those things that you would like to understand why it is happening.

thanks

From the Windows desktop, goto START, RUN and type in SYSEDIT. You will see AUTOEXEC, CONFIG, etc., and also SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI - check out these last two carefully. If it doesn't produce the error message in SAFE MODE, check what's loading in STARTUP.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Ray,

Remove the @ symbol at the beginning of the line.

reghakr

Hello ray436.

I may be overly skeptic. But, I bet you have path lines there at least. I might even bet that you have a real long path setting. You know, path has a limit in length in bytes. Longer than that, it collapses.

There is not no reason to have a J letter popup at the prompt without a cause.

My question further is : Is it C>J whereas your normal prompt be something like C:\> ?

regards - tsuji

thanks people, as a round -up;

- no references to the 'J' in any files listed by sysedit.

- may be wrong, but the '@' just hides the line from showing? like putting "echo off"

- no path statements, just the line for the antivirus.
the prompt is " C:\>J " just as if you typed a uppercase 'J' at command prompt then pressed enter, same response too. this is why I figured it must be just an errant J in a line in a batch file.

Still looking, but no luck.

Thanks

I think we're all intrigued by this one Ray...

Just to clarify, if you hit <F8> and select Command Prompt only, your prompt

is &quot;C:\>J&quot;, right? So what happens if you hit <Shift><F5> in the boot menu?

Do you still get the &quot;J&quot;?

And another question... What happens if you boot from a floppy disk? Do you get

&quot;A:\>J&quot;?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

How about changing the prompt in autoexec and see if the display in error changes. Something like $d$<. And if you have a msdos available edit the autoexec with edlin to make sure the file ends where you want it to end. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ray436, I would suggest you do this.

[1] Remark off the navdx line see if there is no J appear. If not, navdx is responsible, in particular if it is tsr.

[2] Use you present system to do a format a:/s on a blank floppy. Then boot from a: to command prompt with it. See if the same thing happens. io.sys may get corrupted.

[3] If nothing abnormal there, go back to check your config.sys if nothing like lastdrive=J or similar instance referring to a J which get delinquant.

[4] Do you have bios overlay installed to boot your large hard drive. If yes, maybe mbr is then responsible for that.

regards - tsuji

Hey folks.... sorry about the delay in responding.

Anyhoo.. Turns out not to be Norton. After Norton does its thing it returns a normal &quot;C:\>&quot; then somthing else loads and I get the &quot;J&quot;. Still unable to locate what it is tho. It is definitly something loading, no BIOS overlay, lastdrive, or winstart.bat leftovers.

hmmm will ponder somemore.

thanks.

Have you looked in Bootlog.txt in the root directory of the C: drive to see what is attempting to load?

thanks Paul, checked just now, no dice.
oh well.

What about running safe mode using the step by step option to get some insight as to when it happens and its source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back