Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Boot Sector error!!!! HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thyezer

MIS
Apr 17, 2002
US
I was trying to merge my C & D drives together using PartionMagic, WITHOUT first making a backup.(I KNOW, IKNOW)
Upon completion..... I cannot boot my laptop. I have tried to repair with XP PRO disk, but I don't know what to do? How do I access my folders and possibly save some of my smaller files to disk...or onto the network?

Please help!!!!

Thyezer

Some time back I had a problem when using PMagic and Bootmagic, Bcastner pointed me in the right direction which immediately solved my problem. The thread was

779-638110

Toolman59

Thread779-638110

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Edit the boot.ini
Make it like this:

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Boot from partition 1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS = "Boot from partition 2" /fastdetect

Try booting with the different choices .

how can i edit my boot.ini file? I copied it into notepad...put it to floppy...then what...I am in the recovery part of XP and I don't know if I can move that file from floppy to the correct location..or how to that is?

I Made rescue disks for PM8 and tried loading with them:
It says:
PARTION TYPE SIZE MB USED UNUSED STATUS PRI/LOG
*:Local Disk NTFS 30004.2 6159.6 23844.5 Active pri
*: Ext 8142.3 0 0 None pri
*: Unall 8142.3 0 0 None Log
*: Unall 7.8 0 0 None Pri

Should I mess with this PM8 stuff...or just try copying over the boot.ini file? Or both?

Thanks

Thyezer,

Are you able to take the HDD out of the Laptop and connect it to a normal IDE port in another PC. You will have to use a connector to allow you to hook your 2 and a half inch Laptop drive into a normal IDE port on a desktop pc motherboard. This will allow you to connect the drive as a second drive and then browse to it via explorer.

If you can do this you may be able to browse your files and copy them onto another disk. Failing that, I think that you may be out of luck...

I thought about that...If that is my only option...I will try it...but I would need to purchase this connector. ANyone have anything else I can try...or list how to copy the boot.ini file over?

Thanks

I now at reboot get:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Can I get this file from the XP CD?

How do I add that to my computer from the recovery program?

Perhaps try creating and booting the NTFS Reader DOS Boot Disk from the following link:

If this gives you access to your data, then from your PM8 listing, it appears that you have about 8GB of unallocated space from which you could create a FAT32 drive and use the above program to copy data from the NTFS Drive to the newly created drive.

Seems you have 2 primary partitions .
One NTFS with size 30GB
One 8GB that is extended .

Your old setup had two disks
c: partition1
d: partition2
Your old boot.ini
was located on d: and pointed to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

Now you merged them into one partition nr.1
so the boot ini in that system is pointing to a
partition that does not exist .

How was the sizes in the old configuration .
Did the merging complete , and failed during restart .
Or did it fail in the middle of the prossess .
(i wonder about the 8GB partition left there ,if this
is a part of your D: )

SYAR

If datarecovery is the only way out .
I suggest using pebuilder
to make a &quot;ultimate boot cd&quot; that runs Windows PE from cdrom .
Read/writes on NTFS partitions ,networking and more.

Has to build the ISO image and burn it to a cd using nero .

SYAR

I think the contents of your d partition got transferred to a folder in the c partition.
So I guess your boot.ini if at all it exists in c partition should point to that folder

case 1
[boot loader]
timeout = 30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\foldername]\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\[foldername]\WINDOWS = &quot;Windows XP&quot; /fastdetect

[foldername]=the name of the folder where the d partition was moved to...

Psst...did the PM ask you to enter a folder name when you chose to merge..I think you are required to enter the folder name if you can remember...
case 1. did you merge d to c - if so then d will become a folder of c
case 2. did you merge c to d - if so then c will become a folder of d

Sorry if I am wrong...

Dan. W. :)-)

Dan-
I took partition F and merged it into partition C
It was moved into a folder called &quot;fdrive&quot;

I think my problem was that I was assuming that C partion was my boot partition and it wasn't. I will try your boot.ini idea...

Thanks

well....
I creted the PE BUILDER disk and booted into my laptop. I can see that I hace a c directory
THERE IS NO WINDOWS dir!!!!!

I checked in the before mentioned ddrive and fdrive folders (merged partitions) and there is nothing in those?

F drive used to be my boot drive and now it looks empty.
C drive is what I merged it all to and it has NO WINDOWS folder?
Can anyone suggest anything to fix this system...or am I only going to be able to manually transfer data away and format again , install XPPRO?

Thanks

does fdrive contain anything....related to windows installation...

Could it be hidden...

Maybe now c drive got to become the Active partition...

Situations doesn't look good

Dan. W. :)-)

Recover the data and clean reinstall. Odds are that even if you do ever 'recover' the original installation and get it to boot, you'll have ongoing problems - so best to bite the bullet now (you could spend a long time trying otherwise).

Just my opinion of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back