Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Block Troubles with XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffestes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2003
US
I've a WD400 40GB EIDE drive that has started experiencing bad block errors. I received a warranty replacement (refurbished) from WD and am ready to replace the bad drive now. Then Mr. Murphy showed up.

I attempted to perform XP's "Backup" from the quickly deteriorating WD400 to the replacement, but the operation failed for a variety of errors found in the system. An 8GB backup file was, however, created on the new disk but the log file generated from the backup process indicated that that any attempt to restore from this copy will not create a workable system.

Other that starting from scratch - can anyone provide guidance on this issue?

Thanks,
Jeff

If your Harddrive is bad then you will always have problems getting data off it.

One other possible reason for backup errors is that your Volume Shadow Copy service was not running.

It might come down to a case of save what data (files) you can, reinstall XP, updates and programs on your new drive.

Have you tried running a scandisk and allowing it to fix/recover bad sectors via safemode or even dos if possible?

PowerQuest makes a pretty good recovery tool that runs in dos and can recover more then you care to. After it has run it will inform you of what it can and cannot recover and give you the option to save what data you can.

Keep Us Posted!

-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back