Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

edinburger

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2004
GB
Ive just installed a BCM for a client, all is well and I'm about to finish on site. However before I go I would like to backup the system onto the HDD of my laptop so i can then cut it onto a cd.

I've run the BRU and added a volume with the volume name as Laptop, location as \\computername\BCM and user details as \\computername\username.

The bcm folder is shared on my XP laptop and the username has full rights to the share and full NTFS rights to the whole HDD.

When I select this volume and run a backup, I'm asked for my password. The system thinks about it for a while then comes back with error 53 saying that it couldn't find the network location for the backup.

I'm doing the backup over LAN1 using a crossover cable could this be the problem??

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

In the location field, the way that I have been successful is using the IP address of my laptop and then I have created a shared file titled BCM_Backup. so the entrty in that field should look like this.

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\BCM_Backup

I've also used my partners laptop and the BCM doesn't like it when you don't have a lon in, i.e. for XP when you get the opening page where requests that you pick a user acount to open. The passwrd that works for me is the pw that I enter there.

Let me know how it turns out or we'll try something else.

Warwizard thanks for the reply, I have not been back to site yet but I'm going to try and get there this week.

Anyway I've been reading up on the BRU and I've read that you can't backup to a remote location if you are connected to the BCM through LAN 2. Also if the BCM and the remote PC/Server are not in the same workgroup or Domain then you cannot backup to a remote location.

At the moment the BCM is in a workgroup called workgroup and my laptop is a member of my works Domain. Do you think this could be a problem. I would think that if you have the correct credentials for the remote PC then once they have been entered into the BRU the backup should run.

Let me know what you think

Many thanks

I think that what you have read is incorrect. Almost every one of the backups that I have performed have been using the lan2 port on the BCM. You just have to make the IP address on your lap top/ Backing up PC in the same span as lan2.

I.E. --> Lan2 IP = 10.10.11.1
Make your PC = 10.10.11.??? (other than 1)

This should be done as if you were logging ino the system via Lan2.

I trid to add a screen shot but it wouldn't let me. If you want to forward me an email address I'll send you what the "volume" page should read like.

The only thing that I can think of being a problem that I haven't looked into wiht the BRU is setting a back-up remote "schedule" to the lan2. But if you just want to make a back-up then I know that it will work and it is just a matter of getting your settings correct. If you want I can walk you through it.

you can do it even with different domains.

make sure you share the folder not just the drive or directory. if your backup directory is C:\BCM BACKUPS\ABC Company then you have to share ABC Company folder.
Then in BRU volume you enter
Type: Remote
Logical Name: laptop
User Name:your laptops domain\userid for laptop

I've done dozens of backups this way and I always set this up for the customer so the weekly backups go to a server not the e: partition on the BCM.

I'm afraid I might have confused people. The IP address in the Location field should be that of your laptop not the BCM. ie: \\10.10.11.5\ABC Company SORRY!!! I should proof read a little closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back