Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backups - Grey Area for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartncube

Technical User
May 4, 2003
GB
I work in a Comms room with 56 server. These are backed up on DLT & DAT drives. I'm new to the world of backups. As part of the morning checks I have to check the free disk space on each server.
Record the number of files missed during each backup. I assume that in most cases the files missed will be system files and will probably never be required to be reinstalled.
No one has explained to me why these need to be recorded.

Any ideas about how we I improve on the way we report backup status or improve the way we backup?

We also use Veritas Backup Exec on our SAN(Storage Area Network) I only know how to check if the back has completed or failed. I need to know how to confidently use this application.

Any suggestion that may help me gain confidence with backups would be helpful

Thanks in advance for your response
(pc3)

Hi

In the OPtions of the backup job you should be able to print a report of the Backup Job. This will give you all the details which you are recording manually and you will have it nicely printed out if anyone comes asking.(They Won't)
I use to tell my customers that they only needed to file the report and call me if one does not print, then you need to investigate why.
The online help is helpful

Hope this helps...

David

Thanks for the quick response

Should I highlight the job > Right click and go to Options.
I still need to learn more about backups - terminology associated with backups.
New trends in backups. I want to be confident when it comes to backups.

Thank you folks

Thanks for the response. I still need to know how to confidently use Backup Exec. and tell if a backup has gone through. Our SAN backs up 30+ Servers how do I view each server that the SAN backsup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back