Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BackupExec Password change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanatogen

Technical User
May 8, 2003
GB
Hi Folks,

I was trying to use SAM (Security Account Manager) to administer password on some of the network services that run on all our servers.

This works fine apart from BackupExec.

I can change the passwords easy enough for each of the services, but there also exists the "System Account" within BackupExec itself.

It seems that (for instance) I create a local account called "localbackup" for each of the backupExec services, but am unable to persuade BackupExec to use this account for all of its backup jobs?

I've been asked to make periodic changes to the password for each service, but as far as I can tell, I might have to leave BackupExec alone in this regard. :-(

Any pointers appreciated. The platforms are Windows 2003 Server/Windows 2000 Server with BackupExec 10

Use an account called Backup Exec Admin with a very difficult password. Assign it logon as a service rights, backup operator. Stop all BE services and go to logon for each one and set them to that account. Start all services.

Then you'll be sorted.

Hi Zeland,

Thanks for the post. I want to change the password every month using SAM (or something else). But I noticed when I did that, the BackupExec program on each server complains about the system account using incorrect password.

Does this mean I have to stick with one password?

If you want to change the password, you ALSO need to change the password in services for each of the BE services and stop and restart the BE services thereafter.

I use a single account only for BE with an extremely difficult password (eg IH@v3_a_d1ff1cult_p@55w0rd) that only I know. Then I don't have to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back