Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup to flashdrive fail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0ckser

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
CA
i have a Dell latitude E6400, 64Gb SSD, O/S WinXP SP3. i want to back up the My Documents folder (~23Gb) to a 64Gb Lexar Jumpdrive. i inserted the stick into a port on my portable; it was discovered and i had to reboot to get it to operate correctly.

i use the O/S backup program and get about ~4Gb into the backup and a message pops up, "tape is full. please insert the next tape".

help please :((

per ardua ad astra

If you had to reboot to get the flash drive to operate properly that tends to indicate that you have a drive mapped to the drive that the flash drive wants to use.

Since it is your My Documents folder rather than the OS that you are backing up can you not just copy (or robocopy) the contents of your My Documents folder to the flash drive instead of using the O/S backup program?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

cmeagan656 - tahnks for the speedy reply

re reboot - i actually tried 2 different flashdrives (same size same manufacturer). with the first, i ignored the reboot instruction, despite being told that the hardware might not work properly if i did not. i have seen this caution before, but since the drive was just being used for storage, i paid it no mind. i returned it for replacement. so, for the second i rebooted since i felt that the first didn't work properly.

re copy vs. backup - i could copy, but it seems i cannot copy the My Documents folder, but must copy the contants, folder by folder; at 25Gb that's considerable work. besides, the backup can be scheduled and done incrementally, copying cannot.

per ardua ad astra

Would it be worth opening My Documents, then 'Select all' and try to copy everything manually just once, to see if you can get past 4GB?

FAT32 file system on flash drive means a 4GB file size limit. If using NTBACKUP in XP, it will make one big (single) file that will cause you to cross that limit.

External hard drives are better for storage of this type.

+1 for what goombawaho said.

Look to alternative backup tools as well. There are many options, many free.

I cannot believe that the write speed for that thumbdrive is useful. That kind of USB drive is nothing like the SSD drive inside your computer. Get a larger mechanical drive or another SSD drive in an external enclosure. The larger drive will allow you to store versions of backups.

Or you can just drag and drop your files/folders onto the flash drive and then it won't be one big lump of a single file that crosses the 4GB barrier. Many ways to fry the fish, but a real external (mechanical or SSD drive) will be much faster and more reliable in the long run.

Also, if I were you and you were going to do the backup on just a flash drive, keep and use more than one. They're easily lost/stolen and they can crap out at any time.

goombawaho said:
FAT32 file system on flash drive means a 4GB file size limit. If using NTBACKUP in XP, it will make one big (single) file that will cause you to cross that limit.

Star for goom. I missed that.

You can however, setup robocopy to copying only the files that have changed. Also, from memory, you should be able to robocopy the "My Documents" folder without having to copy the contents of each folder within "My Documents". You can also set up a scheduled task for robocopy.

goombawaho said:
Also, if I were you and you were going to do the backup on just a flash drive, keep and use more than one. They're easily lost/stolen and they can crap out at any time.

Totally agree! Personally, for my personal stuff at home, I use two external hard drives. One on site that I back up to daily and one off site that I back up to weekly.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

The OP never mentioned robocopy and they wouldn't have had a problem with the 4GB limit had they been using it, but indeed, it's a great way to only backup new files or files that have changed.

Thanks for the star.

I use two external hard drives. One on site that I back up to daily and one off site that I back up to weekly.
Excellent CYA backup advice no matter what media you are using for backups: CD/DVD, tape, flash drive, external drive. OFF SITE is so key.

Goom, in my first post I suggested robocopy as an alternative to him but he replied by saying "the backup can be scheduled and done incrementally, copying cannot." I was simply clarifying that robocopy could be scheduled and do incremental backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back