Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup to Disk v's Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandazoo

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
GB

Hi,

Just a quick Q about compression that someone may be able to help with.

We are now running Veritas and backing up to disk instead of tape.

Compression ratio's are 1:1 and Veritas does not seem to compress the files (.bkf) that it creates on the disk.

Veritas Version is 9.1 and its running on Windows Server 2003

Any suggestions ?

Ta.

Hi,

Well after a few backups full and Diff's - there is still no compression on the files.

I have not tried Windows Serv 2003 compression as they way this works it will most probably slow Veritas?

Anyone have any ideas ?

cheers.

In backup Exec have are you using the software compression?

Hi,

Yeah using the hardware and if not available software compression.

.... and nothing.

Backup Exec reports 274 Gb file (in job Monitor) - and the file is actually 268 Gb (when viewed through explorer) but surely this is not compression and is just the way that the file has been written to disk ?

I would expect more compression than that on a 274 Gb file.

Media still reports compression ratio of 1:1

??

??

Well you need to change it to software....there is no hardware involed "tape drive" to do the compression.
Change it to software only and I you should starting seeing some results.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - have tried all the options under compression type and nothing !

Has anyone got a backup file to compress when doing a backup to disk through Veritas?

I can only think that it is not supported and that you should use the compression within Windows Server

...... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back