Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup to a DVD+RW?? No way! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadenton

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
US
Can someone please explain to me why XP Pro backup utility does not offer me the option to backup my files/folders/data to my internal DVD+RW? I seem to only be able to copy files/folders/data from my computer to my DVD+RW. What's up with that?

One of the main reasons I ordered this new Dell Desktop with XP Pro and a DVD+RW, was so that I could backup easily and more regularly. I've read that I can alternatively backup to my (partitioned) C drive or to a Zip/tape drive or online storage, etc -- but that's not my first choice.

Is there a way to use the Windows backup utility -- to backup to my internal DVD+RW? Do some of those third-party backup software programs allow you to do that?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Well, it's after the fact - but anywhos, the dvd-ram format would be a safer option for data backup.

If you have enough hard drive space and can do your backup, you might then copy it to the DVD using the software that does support your DVD player (Nero et al)

Dave

Backup MyPC from Stompsoft will back up whatever you want to DVD, and perform all the usual backup functions.

Norton Ghost 9.0 from Symantec supports a VERY wide selection of DVD writers. However, I have found that it is quicker (using Drive Image 7, the precursor to Ghost 9.0) to send the backup image to an external disk drive, and then copy the image file(s) to a DVD disc.

ONE WORD.
VERITAS.
That is, if you can afford it....kinda pricey..but its reliability is top notch.
veritas.com

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back