Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup system

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhB

Technical User
Feb 6, 2001
FR
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if we can do a disk backup (backup data and structure: filesystem ... ), so we can restore immediatly the disk if yes How can I do it?? if not How came ????

Thanks in advance,
KhB

You can use ufsdump to backup complete filesystems and ufsrestore to restore it.
Check the man pages for info.

Thanks for your replay, I knew ufsdump and ufsrestore but it can do only a backup of data and not the config of the disk in other words we can not boot from this backup in case you disk crash ...
So if anyone have experience with this situation, would be nice if he can gives me his advice.

Thanks lot again

KhB

To make filesystem bootable after the restore:
/usr/sbin/installboot /usr/platform/sun4m/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t1d2s0

the platform details ( sun4m may be different depending on your system )
disk details (c0t1d2s0 ) will have to match the disk you are using.

I still not convinced, may be may question wasn't clear
imagine the following situation :
You are working on Solaris machine Ultra-80
Your this crash !!! you want to restore it quickly, How you can do that, I heard that sun can only restore data so before exploiting this restore you have first to configure your disk this is not convience compare to other OS like AIX you can restore from a backup whithout any other manipulation.

KhB

In Solaris you don't boot from tape backups (in AIX you can boot from it and install, I think this is what you're looking for). So in case of disk crash you need to replace the disk boot from CDROM create the file system structure and then do ufsrestore.

I hope this answers the question.

KhB
you can use dd to create a full image of your disk to another disk or to a tape.
problems
1.if your disk has bad sectors they will be copied too
2.it's sloooooooooooooooow
3.it requires another disk with the same size and make .
barazani
bara_zani@yahoo.com
"Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back