Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Sun Solaris to WinNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2002
GB
Hi

I know very little about Solaris, but I need to backup data from our Sun box to a Windows NT box. So I am thinking (wrongly I am sure) that the best was would be to map a drive to the NT box and then run "Cron" to move the selected directorys to the NT box, maybe once a week. Trouble is I don't know the commands to do this.

Any help or pointers would be a great help.
Thanks.

OK I could use Samba, but can you get the Sun to see the NT box, rather that NT seeing the Sun. I use Linux at home, and you can mount FAT32 disks by just adding some "stuff" to the fstab, I was hoping maybe I could mount my "NT Box" on the Sun in the same way.

Ta, Led*Zep

Sorry, but you said, that you will make the backup from the Windows NT ..., and you forget that Samba is "Two-way filesharing", so you can use Solaris as SMB client and mount a SBM share from your NT, but if you don't want use samba you can use third party software like Hummingbird to export a NT filesystem (NFS) or the NT 4.0 Resource kit that includes an NFS server, if you are using Windows 2000 you can use the "Services for Unix 2.0", check for information at:

Kind Regards,

Carlos Almeida,

OK Thanks Carlos, I see what you mean know, I will take a look.

Thanks Again

Led*Zep

You will not be able to mount the NT disk on Solaris...

Solaris can see FAT32 FS (PCFS), but cannot see NTFS (In my experiance!) Adam F
Solaris System Administrator

So is Solaris can see FAT32, could I not "push" the information onto the NT machine (NT would be NTFS, but say I put a FAT32 disk in). Also what if I used FTP or TELNET, would that not work??

Led*Zep

You can use a backup Software like Veritas or Legato NetWorker for backing up to NT box

Have you tried looking at Solstice NFS Client? It comes packaged with the OS as far as I remember. We have a partition on the Unix system which is visible as a drive mapped on the NT network using the afore mentioned software. From this network drive we can dump any data on that drive to the NT network drives.

Cheers

Jimbo

I am currently run Veritas Datacenter 3.4 for the enterprise. The media host, or backup server is an NT 4.0 server, and the Solaris 8 box runs a script for our Informix databases, and another for the NFS.

I should point out that Veritas products can be very expensive, but they offer a single server solution for mixed environments.

Hope this helps…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back