Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup starts, throughput declines, then stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkmorrow

MIS
Jan 12, 2001
US
I have a one server out of many that just started to fail.

I have Arcserv9.0 build 2020 (the latest) on Windows 2000 service pack 4.
Previously they were working fine on this machine.

The backup starts, a connection is made to the agent and files begin to copy to the tape (it is not a media or tape drive problem, this is the only machine failing out of 35)the throughput begins to trail off and then the backup fails.
The agent log shows:
[SD]Send error. RC18014726, Socket Error:10054, Buffer Size 131072
The log shows a reconnect precedure starts and the send error continues over and over

No windows event logs
I have reinstalled the agent and made changes to the registry per CA to change the packet size and a few other parameters to no avail.

Any one seen this before?

Have you looked at your network drivers?....I found when I installed W2k SP4 my drivers were downgraded to the windows default drivers. After upgrading them my backup speed went back to 100MB/min

Socket Error:10054. If you go to a command prompt you and type net helpmsg 10054 you will see this is an OS return code. ARCserve does not determine throughput, as it does not move data; All data is being moved at the mircosoft API. A good test for throughput is to copy the same data set you are backing up using a network file copy and time it. Generally speaking the throughput should be similar to that of the backup.

Please visit support.ca.com and install the current patches to bring your version up to 2040. This sounds like a network issue though, so please confirm you have a current WHQL certified NIC driver in place on both nodes.

Same problem here. Only here it's windows 2003 (both on the arcserve server and the arcserve agent side). Been calling with computer associates, but they don't know the problem.

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with the networkcards or their drivers. The ArcServe job crashes after like 550MB with the same errors as rkmorrow has, only I think he switched two numbers. RC18014726 is RC18012746 (2 and 4 are swapped) here. This server has copied over 10Gig in one go over the network without a single problem.

The people @CA had me reinstall client agents and different versions and applying updates n such, but it didn't help. Whereas I was first using 9.0 build 2049 (on the client, according to CA this is a strange/non-existant build number, but it really comes of the netware CD (yes netware, this was the CD that was in the box that was purchased as being "Windows client agent", it also contains serials for that product, arcserve server for netware and some other stuff)), and on the windows server CD there's build 2020 which was updated to 2040. Both client versions have the same problem.

So far I have no solution, just thought I'd let you know you're not alone :). If we get any further we'll come back.

Small ques... you don't happen to be running Citrix MetaframeXP or Terminal Server are you?

Some other probs with ArcServe I ran into...:

As the install location I gave up D:\Program Files.... It happily puts half it's files in C:...

I've installed the app 4 times now... you actually can't do a whole lot wrong. Every time I gave as password for caroot "a". 2 of the 4 installs I was unable to login, perhaps it doesn't like me for not wanting it to remember the logon credentials?

If you think you have a problem with the caroot password set it for no password and try it out. Use authsetup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back