Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup solution - basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendal1

Technical User
Aug 9, 2007
US
Guys, I work for an organization with a budget that is somewhat constricted by ancillary forces so please bear that in mind.
Here's my scenario: I'm in a building with one domain controller and one file server. I have a tape drive connected to the file server and I'm using windows to organize by backup process. Basically, I ran a normal or full backup of the user's shares, relevant software and the system state. Then on Friday I scheduled an incremental backup after hrs and these backups will be appended to the full backup. The tapes are 72gbs and the normal backups were approximately 8-10gbs. We really don't have an offsite storage center unless I take the tapes home. I know some of you may have more complex backup solutions but will this get the basic job done or do you guys forsee problems. Thanks in advance.

ntinlin - Im not sure whether there's anyone on site I could trust. The buildings are elementary schools and the teachers are technically challenged to put it politely. However, I like the NAS solution and it's another option we'll have to consider as we try to get a sound backup process established. We are in the process of upgrading are links so the NAS strategy offiste is a possibility. However, for the time being the local tape drives will have to suffice. So fare I like the idea of getting a full backup, taking the full backup off site and then running differentials every day. Then in a month I would come in and do another Full Backup on another tape and then maybe recycle the tapes every month or two months. Pain in the arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back