Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup software

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcookson

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
We are currently running ArcServe 7 on a Novell 5.1. We run one backup job that backs up 4 Novell 5.1 servers including the one running ArcServe and another job that backs up a Windows 2000 server which runs our Lotus Domino server (we have another Windows 2000 server we would like to backup but the job won't complete when we include it on this job.)

We have been working with Computer Associates for about six months to correct issues we have with their software and the issues still persist (along with new ones that pop up from time to time.)

Here is the issue. Do we continue to fight these issues with ArcServe, move to ArcServe version 9 and split the backups running ArcServe for Windows and ArcServe for Novell (stop going cross platform), or switch to some other backup software? If we switch, who do we go to? Is Veritas Backup Exec better than ArcServe? Is there any other software out there that actually works the way it's suppose too?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

What are your issues? At my company, we run Arcserve 7 on about 60 NetWare 5.1 SP3 servers and barring the odd problemette, everything runs ok. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Our issues are as follows:

1. When we try to backup one of our Windows 2000 servers from our Novell 5.1 server we get broken connections during the compare which means the compare doesn't run on those sessions. This job runs seperately from the job that runs our Novell server backups.

2. We have a second Windows 2000 server that we haven't been able to backup for several months because every time we add it to the job discussed in issue 1 the entire job fails.

3. We only have one manager that connects and functions properly consistently.

4. Recently on our Novell backup job it hangs when it gets to the last session. It says it is waiting verify and never does (this is the part where it verifies the AS Database.) We replaced all of the databases with blank databases and the job ran one night and it is back to the same situation. We can't stop the job and when we stop ArcServe it abends our server and never stops completely. We are forced to reboot the server just to get the job to stop.

With the exception of problem 4 we have been working with CA for about six months and these problems still persist. Our company is mandated by the FDA to have our servers backup up every night and we have been in violation for several months now. My job and the job of my boss are on the line at this point.

We also use ArcServe 7 for both our Netware and Windows servers. When we purchased ArcServe 7 we also purchased the Netware Agent. When running the Agent, the backups ran extremely slow. I tried working the issue with CA and got so frustrated with their tech support, I vowed never to purchase another CA product again. We are still using ArcServe 7, but without the Agent and it gets the job done.

I have thought about changing products and using Veritas BackupExec. The only downside, is I have alot of tapes that would not be compatible with the Veritas product.

I know this doesn't help your situation, but thought I let you know your not the only one with ArcServe 7 issues.

Jim Jim Webber
Network Administrator MCSE CNA

kcookson - for points 1 & 2, give me an E number error message as seen in your log file. For point 3, tell me your OS and Internet Explorer version (requires IE5.5 or greater) and also if you have applied the Manager patches from CA's website

Slainte35 - lets go through the basics first. WHat version of Novell is Arcserve on and what is the version of the source server (include SP levels). Are they configured to the same speed/duplex settings (on your hub/switch also)?

Both - what patch version is AS7 installed to? -----------------------------------------------------

TheLad: I appreciate your willingness to help but I am already up to my eyeballs trying to troubleshoot this with Computer Associates. Really what I was after was an idea of the best backup software for Novell and if anything can go cross platform without too many issues.

With all due respect, a problem shared is a problem fixed. Please check out other posts on this particular messageboard where posters have had problems, asked CA, and someone from this forum has actually suggested a solution that worked. There are many experienced people that post here, and to be quite honest changing backup software could only give you another set of problems to overcome.

You may be up to your eyeballs, but a quick look in the Arcserve log for an error number can't hurt - surely??? -----------------------------------------------------

re: issue #4 - we had the same issue when we switched to AS7. It turned out one of our NLM's needed to be updated. It has been running like a champ since.

Looked for which NLM, but unable to find. I'd start there, though.

As long as the server is running a decent support pack, and as long as Arcserve has been patched, you should not get any problems. -----------------------------------------------------

KCookson: In regards to part 2 above

I am using Novell 5.1 sp5 and Arcserver 7 and have previously had a similar problem backing up Windows based servers. When I would attempt to backup the root share it would fail in the same job as my Novell backup it would fail. It (Arcserve) couldn't connect to the Windows server.

I found some information hidden on a CA message board which helped (I don't remember now where it was). I said to create an empty drive share or a share you don't want to backup. Have Arcserve backup each share separately starting with the one you don't need. For some reason, it fails on the first share but works fine on the remaining ones.

I'm not sure if this has been of any help but I hope so.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back