Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Software 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpibb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2002
US
I've just installed a new Windows 2000 server. I'm trying to decide which back up software to use. Veritas Backup Exec Server is costly compared to just using the Windows 2000 backup program. Is BE worth the money just to do a simple full system backup? Any considerations or suggestions would be appreciated.

It really depends on what you want to backup!

If all you want to do is a "simple" full server backup and all your data can be on a single tape in your storage unit, then use Microsoft Backup (Veritas Backup Exec lite).
If you are using an autoloader or need to span your backup to more tapes then use a full backup software.

CA ArcServeIT is ok on netware.
Veritas BENT is the best on Microsoft.
And the price is much the same.

But thats just my opinion (after 4 years on consulting on storage sollutions) ~ t ~
What's wrong with global warming?
I like long and hot summers!

We use Arcserve 2000 by CA to do our backups. It works pretty nice and is pretty cheap..

I found Backup Exec 8.6 very stable and much more user friendly than Win2k backup. It was harder for my onsite contacts to screw up Backup Exec. The onsite contacts that I had who used Win2k backup was constantly messing it up (wrong tape, failed backup, ran a maunal backup now the over write protection is kicking in and not letting the back up run)

Thanks guys... all the the suggestions are very helpful. I am doing a single-tape, full-system backup, so from what I hear, Windows 2000 backup may do the job. All the on-site users are going to be doing is swapping tapes, so as long as I can get them to insert the correct tapes, I should be OK.

Backup Exec is worth the money for just about any server-based backup. MS Backup is free/comes with 2000 Server however it has a tendency to become problematic. I have seen several cases in which MS Backup just blew out and either started giving errors for an unknown reason, or just quit backing up. BE is esecially good for files that remain open all the time and Exchange. You can purchase options to backup open files and Exchange data. I've found it to be very reliable as well. I would strongly recommend it albeit the price is a bit in the sky, I think it's worth it. Kind of like getting a bike helmet. Seems like a silly idea till it's the only thing between you and the pavement.

I agree with red viking.

I have used both, going back to when ArcServ was Cheyenne and before Backup Exec was Veritas.
Veritas Backup Exec is what I cover my butt with every day.

I am using BENT 8.6 (and below) on many of our customers servers and found it very stable and user friedly especcialy when you have scheduled jobs (ie. full backup on monday till friday at 2300) or want the result of a job sent by mail to you.
With MS-backup it is almost impossible to get backup reports outside of the software itself.
We did some kind of a batch job for some customers - let me know if you want that posted here.

Steelburner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back