Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup software suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

summoner

Technical User
Sep 28, 2002
US
Can somebody please recommend a good backup software? I need to back up a number of different things and I'm trying to find a software that does it all. I have a site with:
Netware 6.5
Win2k3 and 2k
Groupwise 7
Zen 7
Oracle db on win2k3 & 2k
possible sql server on win2k3 in the future
possible linux in the future, but this is not a major requirement.

My problem is that the software I've researched, none of them handle all of my requirements. Most of the time, GW is not explicited supported which is a major requirement for this job. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

To backup GroupWise, you just need a Backup software that works with TSA's. There are two types of backups..

Use TSA's: These us Novells Target Service Agent to backup stuff. The TSA's manage the access to the file systems and NDS and other TSA's you may have. In the past, it was common to use GWTSA to backup GroupWise, but Novell has changed it. (read down towards bottom).

Non-TSA: These are backup systems that are more or less accessing the file system the same as if you were using Windows Explorer to copy files from the server. These won't backup GroupWise very well due to open file issues.

Examples of TSA Backups: Veritas BackupExec & CA Arcserve
Examples on NON-TSA Backups: Novanet

So you want TSA's, and you just need to make sure that the software supports NetWare 6.5, then it should work. You will need to modify your defaults on your server to facilitate the GroupWise backup. A couple steps:

1) Modify your SMSSTART.NCF. There is a line in there that loads TSAFS.NLM. The line should read:

TSAFS.NLM /ENABLEGW=TRUE /CACHEMEMORYTHRESHOLD=1

2) Modify your AUTOEXEC.NCF file so that it loads TSAFSGW.NCF, which in turn loads TSAFSGW.NLM. It's important to understand the TSAFSGW.NCF file, because it points to your Domain and POst office Database locations -- so you have to customize this based on your environment. Default config won't work.

You should lookup TSAFSGW on Novell's Knowledgebase to get a better idea of how it works.

Also, you should put NW6.5 SP5 AND TSA5UP19 on there as it has some updates that will make the backup work better. If you don't do this, you will have nothign but problems.

Hope that Helps.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

We use Tivoli Storage Manager. It is complex and expensive but really does back up just about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back