Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Software (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasminracer

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Ok, usual Thread Im putting a couple of sbe 6.5 servers in place and they each need backup software. Like most folks we used to spec arcserve ( before the nightmare that was v 7 and v9)

are the latest incarnations of arcserve any better, will they support ide tape devices ( will anything) or are there better alternatives. I did try a demo of backup exec a few years ago but didnt get very far.

Cheers Graham

p.s. I did check the archive but nothing recent

Been going through this myself lately. I thought I would save myself some headaches by simply running the backup utility included with Netware, SBCON. Well, it's completely functional, but wow is it clunky. I've ordered Backup Exec 9.1. I've run BE on several different systems and have always had good success with it (unlike Arcserve).

The thing that attracted me to SBCON initially was the fact that Netware now comes with it's own Open File Manager built-in to NSS, the FileCopyOnWrite feature. None of the 3rd party backup utilities use this feature, forcing you to purchase their Open File Manager which usually costs more than the backup engine does.

However, I have found the performance of FileCopyOnWrite to be dissapointing. It only allows backup of an open file from the last time that file was closed. So, if you, say, make changes to your NDPS database those changes are not reflected on tape unless you stop and restart the NDPS services (thereby closing all files). Same goes for any log file held open by a service.

I've been told that Backup Exec uses the St. Bernard Open File Manager and I don't recall seeing that software behave this way.

I prefer BackupExec. No it's not perfect, but other vendors are slow to release patches and don't support some of the newest NetWare. For example, they might support NW6.5 SP1, but the current release is SP3.

You'll never find an IDE tape drive for Netware. IDE tape drives don't work on Netware and even if they did you shouldn't use them.

Either get an SDLT or an LTO drive.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

How about AIT 8mm tape they seem reasonable price/gb ( on scsi)

AIT's should be fine too.. Realistically, NetWare doesn't care what kind of drive you have. It can be a loader, you can have multiple drives chained together. You can do pretty much whatever you want. You just gotta determine what fits your budget and make sure that the Backup Software you use supports the particular drive.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back