Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup slow local and fast over network ??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydee77

Technical User
Apr 11, 2005
NL
Hi i have a problem with our brightstor backup v9.0

For long times everything seems ok but suddenly our jobs took longer. When i looked at the activity log it showed me that the job starts backing up the local c-drive with approx 200 mb/min. Then it does the local d-drive (23 gig) with a lousy throughput of 90 mb/min (we have a compaq 110/220 SDLT drive) because of that our job takes too long..... after the local backup it backups some network servers with a throughput of 300-400 mb/min.

Anyone has an idea why the local throughput is bad ?

Check for a sharing of resources between the controller with the local disk storage and something else.

D: might just be a slow drive.
Check out the type of data on D:.
If it is small compressed files just has images, or sound files then it will take more time to back it up.

Sometimes harddrive firmware can also cause throughput problems.

We got one logical volume (hardware raid 5) split into a c drive and a d-drive. So the d-drive isnt slower then the C controller card doesnt show any errors with the drives.

Strange thing is that it has worked perfectly the d-drive is now 22 gb but when it was 18 gig it had a throughput of 300/400 like it should have with a super dlt 1.

Could it be my arcserve database is corrupted or sumthing ?
I tried all kind of stuff (disabling anti virus, stoppin other services)

Only thing i see when the backup runs a long time rds.exe take up bout 50,000 on memory.

No connection to the database. The info that goes into the Database is written to a catalog file on disk. After the job the cat files are megered into the database.

From what you have said I'd say the problem is related to the data.

Last night i monitored the backup..... what i did was...

Cleaned the tape drive
Disabled real time virus scanning..
Killed a proces called dbclean2.exe that runs at the same time as my backup...

After that i had a throughput of 400 mb/min

Anyone knows how to schedule that dbclean2.exe process ?????

One other thing i have that i dont have a job log and activity log anymore. The options are enabled but after a job it just stays empty...

Regards
Jeroen

ARCserve Server Admin, Configuration, Database, change the time for the DB Prune job.

Check the log subdirectory under ARCserve to see if the log files are there and just not being displayed in the Manager. If so a system restart will probably clear that up.

It would also be a good time to upate.

Ok i am bit further with the log files:

I did a db initialize so i cleaned my database. After that i stopped arcserve with cstop

Renamed the LOG folder to OLD_LOGS

after that i started arcserve again with cstart
LOG folder was recreated automaticly and my logs appeared again in the manager.

Bye the way we are on v9.01 SP1
The slow backup issue still remains

Greetz JayDee

So C: is slow and D: is really slow.

Since they are on the same hardware all that leaves is the data on D: for the cause of it being 90 instead of 200.

Grab rawread or some other utility that will measure the throughput on those drives for a baseline on what they can do.

There is a post SP1 Tape Engine update available.

U have a direct link to the post sp1 tape engine update ?

Would be worth a try i think.

Thx for all your help so far

Regards,

Jay

The url for the AS 9.0 downloads page is above, registration will be required. They are also some place on their ftp server but I don't have that address and it is burried there someplace.

Problem is solved.

Apperently these actions did the trick:

Clean tape drive
Upgraded to latest version 9.01 SP1
Initialize database (start with empty database)
Disable real-time AV scanning during backup !

Thx to david for all his help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back