Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup setting for Norton ANTIvIRUS 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnm377

Programmer
Feb 3, 2005
CA
About every 6 months I rebuild my operating system to get rid of all the garbage that has accumulated and is slowing down my response time. I do this by formatting my hard drive and doing a reinstall of the software. I backup all my data and setting's for my software before I reformat.
When I install the Symantedc antiVirus 2005 It always wants to download all the latest updates and scan my whole system for virus.
Before I do a format I have all the latest updates and have done a scan of the system
What do I backup 1) so I save all my latest updates and 2)dont have to do a scan of the system ?
My operating system is WIN98 SE.

Lawnboy
I do not want to reload the latest definitions which is what LiveUpdate will do. Based on rebuild's I have done in the past this can take up to an hour to download the latest files (I do not have high speed internet)plus the total scan will take another 1 - 2 hours
When I do a rebuild and do a install from my CD it takes the definitions, etc. from the CD these will definmatly be out of date. I want to backup all the definitions,settings, etc. before I reformat my hard drive. The problem is that I do not know what files and settings to backup or save before I do the format so that I can put the AntiVirus back to the state before the format.
I want to format my hard drive, reinstall the AntiVirus from CD, then reinstall my AntiVirus backup and settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back