Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup RPC Server stops 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davetoo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
I am running Arcserve 2000, all patched up with current patches. The problem, in fact, didn't begin until I applied all of the latest patches a few weeks ago.

Backing up an Exchange server from a separate server, all agents properly installed and running. Problem is the Backup RPC Server service on the Exchange box will fail periodically, and prevent a backup of the mail store.

Any ideas? I'm currently stopping/restarting the service every few days to try to prevent it from stopping a backup, but I did that Monday and the service failed Tuesday night.

Thanks.

Dave

HI,

This is a common problem with this service...
Since you are backing up the Exchange server over the wire...
setup a batch file to recycle the "Backup Agent RPC" and us the Task scheduler to run this batch file approximately 10 mins before the backup job...

hope this helps

cheers
speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Well, I hadn't thought about that! I'll give it a whirl, thanks.

Dave

Am having this same problem and wanted to use the "AT" service to schedule a batch to run immediately prior to starting backup job. BUT, I do not know the precise name of the service to "net stop . . ." and "net start . . ." Anyone know the actual WINNT Service name for the RPC Backup Service that is the Exchange Agent?

net stop "Backup Agent RPC Server"

net start "Backup Agent RPC Server"

cu tschons

Does anybody know how to solve this issue???
i am getting this message while running ARCServe 2000 w/the ARCServe 2000 exchange backup agent on exchange 5.5. I keep getting this message "e8602 FAILED TO READ FROM DATABASE (DBNAME=Individual Mailboxes\(user mailbox)\(mailbox), EC=BACKUP AGENT ERROR --(69) "Read/Write error in named pipes."). So have you solved the issue yet, if so, what was the solution. Please help.!!

thanks

I'm getting a similar problem. We're running the exchange agent for AS2000 on an Exchange 2000 machine, and backing up over the network. After installing W2KSP4 and promptly rolling back to SP3(for reasons I won't go into) I am sometimes unable to start the "Backup Agent RPC Server" service, and even if it does start, as soon as I try and connect to the exchange box from the other 2K server running the AS2000 console the service stops. And then I'm unable to start it again for about 5 minutes. What the???

I've installed a few updates off the ca site (QO22840 & LO94975), but all to no avail. Same problem.

I've checked the event viewer, but there's no useful info there. The onlt MS suggestion is installing W2KSP4. I'm really not keen to install SP4 again.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back