Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup/Restore scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesid

MIS
Mar 23, 2004
US
We have a server that is identical (hardware) to the one we are using for exchange 2000. Is there a way to install Exchange one the second server so that if anything goes wrong with production server we can just swap them out? I am not worried about data. Just as long as they can send and receive emails while we fix the server that is offline (either from a crash, corruption, etc.)

I was thinking of installing windows on it, using the same computer name and then installing Exchange and just creating blank databases identical to ours (storage groups, mailbox store names, etc). But i would have to take the current one down and i dont know what another install would do to AD. Does anyone know of a way to have a stand by server ready to go with a blank database so that all we would have to do is down the current on and bring up the stand by one? Like i said messages and stuff would not be a factor. All we need to do is get them sending and receiving.

One thing I did was to take down our Exchange server and make a ghost image of the entire drive. This way if we do suffer a crash I put a ghosted hard drive into antoher PC with the exact hardware and we are back in business.

Will that work even though i have a mirrored set and a Raid 5?

Yes it should , however you will have to manually make the settings for the raid array the same on the other box before you begin re-imaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back