Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup/restore methods on AIX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARuegg

Programmer
Jan 20, 2004
US
I have a customer who is interested in backing up his Solaris machine using something "easy" for the operators. He said to look at how AIX does it as a comparison. That's all the info I got.

I did see something on an IBM page; a little blurb about the web-based system manager showing a backup window, but I couldn't find anymore info than the backup/restore commands. I also found Tivoli information, but it seems an overkill and $$$.

I don't have access to an AIX box, so I'm in the dark.

Thanks for any information I can get...

AIX uses a command called "mksysb", and on top of that AIX offers a UI menu system called SMIT which provides you with a UI. Using either SMIT interface or the command line you can make a complete system backup tape which is bootable as well.

Other options are similar to Solaris, i.e. dd and cpio.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

If you want the fucntionality of AIXs Bootable tapes mksysb and savevg on Solaris, then I would suggest you take a look at creating Jumpstart servers for the solaris environment.

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|
----------------------------

This is not attempt to distract the forum members.

I would like to mention that there is another product called "SYSBACK" which is a good product that I have used over years. It supports most of the things including raw logical volume back-ups with LFS data.

mksysb and savevg backups do not offer too much flexibility when it comes to manipulating while restoring the image, SYSBACK sure does.

Tivoli TSM is the other product that we use.

FYI

sysback is at end-of-life. No new contracts are being accepted, and current ones are only supported to December '04. TSM is the way IBM wants to go.

from my understanding sysback is not at end-of-life.. IBM has included sysback into Tivoli group..the new sysback is called TSM sysback which is sysback 5.6..we are going to upgrade our sysback from 5.02 to tsm sysback in couple of weeks..

IBM Certified AIX 5 pSeries System Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back