Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrit

MIS
May 22, 2001
GB
Hello,

I would like to backup the registry of my Windows NT Workstation 4.0. Is it possible to use NTBACKUP to copy the registry and some other files to a directory on the same computer (on the same harddisk!!, there is no tape drive installed!!!)

If it isn't possible with ntbackup, do you have other suggestions? I prefer NTBACKUP because I would like to include the command in the login script

Actually I believe you can back up the registry by using your ERD. When you create it it asks if you want to copy the registry as well. It puts it into a the folder \winnt\repair\regBack. Now I know this is true with Win2K pro. I think it is the same With Winnt 4 workstation. It has been a while. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

if you run 'regedit' you can do a backp from in there, go to Registry->Export Registry File
and this will create a copy of the reg where ever you want....but be careful if you have made changes, as if you try to import it again it will tell you that it has been tampered with and this is illegal etc etc and you will end up having to reinstall NT!!
For backing up, Id recommend doing it to a drive that windows is not on, ie, E:\ or F:\ depending on what way your system is, so if you do for some reason have to do a reformat you wont loose info on your E:\ or what ever.....also a good option is to get hold of a CD burner and make a CD with the files.... Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

thank you for those suggestions,

but I'm looking for commands to put in a login script!!

Like NTBACKUP, which allows to create a batch file.

These commands should be transparant to the user!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back