Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrckb

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
US
I'm needing the wisdom of the net.

I have a small shop of 5 RHEL 3.0 systems that I need to set up for backups.

I need something temporary because the department is evaluating CA BrightStor, Veritas NetBackup, IBM Tivoli, and CommVault for an enterprise-wide solution to be implimented next year. So I'm not wanting to put a whole lot of work into this solution since it is only a stop-gap measure.

I'll be copying the backup data to a mounted share that is part of exhisting Windows backup rotation.

I've seen different references to things like rsync, Amanda, and BOBS. But I'm not sure which way to go.

What would you suggest as a quick-and-dirty but automated backup solution?

Patrick

Patrick Bartkus, CCNP, CNX, SCM, RHCE Sr. Network Engineer
GA Dept of Labor IT Network Services
If truth were not absolute, how could there be justice?

Amanda is obviously a REAL backup utility and requires the hardware (tape) and patience to setup a rotation, etc. Sounds like it would be moving pretty close to what you're contemplating. In that vein, why wouldn't you choose Amanda over those commercial products unless you have some reason?!

That said, in the short term, if you have the disk capacity, you should consider rsync over ssh to a single server on your local network. You could then tape backup that single box, rsync its content offsite, or any number of things....

Hosting Solutions for Home or Business.

Thanks!

I guess it's learn rsync time.

We already are running a Veritas BackupEXEC solution for our 200+ Windows servers. Unfortunately, the (old) version of BackupEXEC we have doesn't support RHEL 3; they want to sell us NetBackup for that. So they are looking at all the enterprise options.

Patrick

We use BackupExec for servers, including Linux. There's an agent that you can download from Veritas, though I don't know if it works with your version of BE. We are also seriously considering NetBackup (and Legato) as we really need an enterprise backup solution, but NetBackup isn't necessary for Linux support. At least the current BE version does work.

A simple solution is the kludge I put together. I have a windows server which runs Backup Exec to backup my windows server farm. A few weeks ago I deployed a new app which runs on RH EL3.0. As no agents were available for this I needed an alternative so I was in the same boat as above. I ut together the following script and stuck it in /etc/cron.daily

#!/bin/bash
path=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
smbumount /mnt/windows
smbmount //gbtm0001ms/<share> /mnt/windows -o username=<username>,password=<password>
cp -ru /home/backups/* /mnt/windows
exit 0

As I say, it's a kludge but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back