Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup procedure after changing to a bigger systemdisk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosuc2000

Technical User
Jun 2, 2004
DE
Hi HP gurus,

Until now I only had to replace some disks outside vg00 and the procedure there was clear to me. But now I have to replace the systemdisk with a bigger disk.
So I need some help about the right backup-procedure, if I want to replace the existing system disk ( in vg00) with the bigger disk. The new disk must occupy the same physical location than the old disk.

I plan to do a make_recovery boot-tape (HP-UX v. 10.20) from vg00, and restore this data after swapping in the new bigger disk.

The only thing that causes me headaches is the different size of the new disk. Are the data from the old disk geometry etc. saved on the bootable tape, in which case I couldn't make use of the bigger size of the new disk.
Or are the disk-geometry data on the physical drive itself?

Second question: When booting the recovery tape, do I get
some configuration dialog like in a new Installation, in which I could configure the new disk size ? If this is the case, I could configure the new disk before restoring
the data.

Perhaps someone could tell me the right procedure how to do that.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Fred
(Excuse my English, but that's not my native language)

Best way :

1. Take full backup of system using usual backup method.
2. Create make_recovery tape
3. Swap disks out
4. Recover from make_recovery tape

NOTE - I've only done this in 11.00 and above, but I believe it is similar for 10.20 but please check.

On booting from the tape, you choose advanced install and you then have the option of specifing the sizes of the lvols, the recovery process then sorts it out - a bit like a new install from cd.

Martin

I agree with Martin, when you boot your recovery tape it asks about your configuration. I use the tape method for building Visualize Workstations with different sized discs and I have never had any problems
malvin

Thank you all for the rapid response.

After just guessing the how things "could" work, I'm glad to hear from experienced colleauges the detailed information. This takes some pressure from me.

Thanks again Malvin and Martin for helping

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back