Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup problem using FAT32 on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcbuilder

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
I get a backup error when running a backup in XP on a FAT32 file system. Saving from master drive to new slave drive as a form of backup of 13.3 gigs of information and I get an error when it reaches around 4.2 gig. The error says:
"You have either run out of space, or the backup file is too large for this disk. Note: If this disk is formatted with FAT32, the maximum possible size for the backup file is limited to 4GB. The backup operation will stop". Both drives in the machine are 40Gig and are in FAT32. Is there a work around for this problem or is that just the way it is period? If so is there another way to backup 13gig of information in this scenario besides buying a tpe backup or 20 ZIP cartriges? Can I format NTFS on the slave drive and it work? Please help anyone...Thanks

It is a FAT32 limitation, and there is no workaround.
(Other than the CONVERT.EXE process)

How about any freeware that I could download that does an image of the drive bit by bit that I could save to the spare drive?

You could split the backup down into multiple files and have 3 x 4Gb and 1 x 1.3Gb file, for example.

bcastner is correct, the FAT32 file system has a maximum file size of around 4Gb. NTFS does have a limit, but its not worth worrying about yet because current storage systems don't get anywhere near it.

John

Good idea, I could try to break it down. would you have to schedule different backups or can you split it up in one backup session?

Which will convert my spare drive to NTFS and not my C: drive, right?

Correct.
But do the command this way:

Start, Run, cmd
c:
convert d: /FS:NTFS

(You cannot be on Drive D: and convert it)

Hi...I have FAT32 on two 80-gig drives, one of which I dedicate to Drive Image backups, which I do every other day. I've never had any messages about FAT32 so far, and I use other file-level backup software too, like BackupNow. I back these up to DVD.

DriveImage works like a charm for me...I can set it going and continue working in Windows with no perceptible slowdown. I use about 1/2 of my C drive for active use and my D drive, also 80 gig, easily holds two drive images. Probably Ghost would do the same. I'm just a little leary of Symantec products at present.

Every morning when I turn my computer on, I make a copy of the registry with regedit. I've not had to use it yet with XP, but it sure saved my ass many times with ME!

One of the big discoveries I made recently was how big an impact a high quality hard drive has! I used to have both IBM and Western Digital. I got all kinds of wierd messages relating to my file structure and the FAT. One time the FAT actually corrupted! I switched to Maxtor at the suggestion of a friend and all of my disk problems vanished!

Just an idea...no, I don't work for Maxtor, but am a huge fan now!

John

John,

Using regedit to backup the registry with the Export function is not going to make it under XP. From the freeware ERUNT site:
Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new entries.
Three better ways to do a registry backup under XP:

. You can use NTBACKUP
. You can use the resource kit tools:
REGBack - Registry Backup
Registry Backup (RegBack) is a tool for backing up the Windows Registry to files without use of a tape drive. RegBack allows you to back up Registry hives while the system is running and has the hive files open.
Download:
REGRest - Registry Restoration
Registry Restoration (RegRest) restores Registry hive files from backups created by RegBack.
Download:
. or, use ERUNT - This is what I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back