Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BACKUP ON WIN SERVER 2003 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardiffdutch

Technical User
Nov 4, 2003
GB
I have scheduled a daily full backup job on a 2003 Server. It was supposed to run last night and when I came in this morning, the log file said "Cannot locate the specified media or backup device. This backup operation will terminate" When I tested the backup (Not a scheduled backup) yesterday it worked no problem.

Why am i getting this message, please help.

Also how do I delete scheduled backups??

Please help

I tried scheduling a job for 5 mins time or so and it runbs fine no problem. It seems to be when I schedule the job to run at a time that is quite far ahead.

Any ideas??

I have been having the same problem. I hadn't realized it until you just mentioned it, but I think its the same here -short term scheduled jobs seem to run, but one's I set to fire off in the middle of the night do not.

We have a Dell W2k3 Server and I've tried different tapes. In fact, I had an older tape drive in there before - getting the same problem. I thought it might be due to a bad drive, so we replaced it with a new Dell internal drive -- same exact message. argh. ??

Suprise Suprise this is a Dell W2K3 Server as well. We are using Travan Drives/Tapes.

Any ideas fella???

I do know that at another site, there was an issue with a dell server and its tape drive. I contacted dell and they sent a tech out to place a foil sheild between the power supply (I think) and the tape drive. It took care of many backup problems. I was so annoyed that they didn't contact the purchasers of those servers instead of waiting for us to call them after hours and hours of grief.

But thats beside the point. I did contact them on this server and apparently its not the issue. I did a search last night on the web, using the message we're getting, and finally found a hit that might have worked.

I placed a /ul switch at the tail end of the config string in the scheduler for this job. It tells the job to overwrite the tapes data. Last I checked the log file, it was working!

give it a shot and see how it goes. Hope it helps!

Many thanks for the response - I will give that a try.

Thanks again for the response.

Our server always crashes during the backup. I haven't had a good backup in months.

"Cannot locate the specified media or backup device. This backup operation will terminate".

If you are using a different tape for each day of the week then what you need to do is name each of the 5 tapes with a different name (i.e. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.) and always use the correct tape on the correct day. To name the tapes just go through the backup wizard and follow the prompts and then backup one file to the tape.

If using a new tape which is only going to be used once (i.e. we use new tapes every Friday as that is the "normal" backup which we store off site) then just set the backup job to accept a new tape.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Sorry, I just realized, it was the /um switch that worked for me, not the /ul (no idea if there even is a /ul switch). Pardon that fupaw on my part...

I was having the same problem on 2 different Dell Servers, and the /um did the trick. Thanks a ton!

Open up the Scheduled Tasks, and append it to the end of the command line.

hi,
thanks for the tip with the /UM Option.
yesterday I had the same Problem on a Hp Proliant ML350
with a DLT Ultrium Tape.
So i can hopefull fix the Problem with the automatic backup

I'm also having the same problems but on an Elonex server. The odd this is sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it complains the media is unavailable and sometimes the log report is just empty! I tried downloading the SBS patch but it wouldn't install on Server 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back