Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup of a Exchange 2000 Server with Exchange client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomgrave

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
NL
Hello,

Have anybody succesfull running Windows 2000/ Exchange 2000 with Arcserve 2000 SP2 + Client Agent Exchange 2000

I have this problem:

I install

Arcserve 2000 Advanced
Arcserve 2000 client agent for Exchange server
Install LO82875 (SP2)
Install LO85115

When I configure Client agent for Exchange i get this error:

Failed to add System Privilege tot the specified account EC=%D EC=1326

Tom

If you had previously installed ARCServe's older Exchange client - which was only compatible with Exch5.5, you will need to uninstall that before installing the newer Exch 2000 client. Installing the Exch 2000 client over the older client won't do the trick.

What build version do I need and is this version available anywhere?

Tom

I've got the base product, SP2 (L082875), and L085115.

The main tip off if you've got both Exchange clients installed is that there will be 2 Exchange Servers listed in the backup manager window.

Could youe please tel me your build version it is located
HWLM\software\ComputerAssociates\ArcserveIT\DSagent\currentversion\agent\dbagent\build = ?????

I have Build 337

Tom

Tom -

I don't even have this key in the server's registry. Its been several months since I set this up, so I'm trying to go back through my notes to discover what actually worked.

First off you have the WRONG Exchange agent installed! The agent found in the ARCServe 2000 SP2 CD is *NOT* for Exchange 2000, it for Exchange 5.5. For this you must install the agent from the SP3 package found in the ARCServe patches page:

If you have gone over the settings on your agent as I have a million times then all you will have to probably do is just uninstall the current agent and install the agent found in this SP3 package. The SP3 build for this agent is 394 I believe, when upgrading to SP4 it will be 450.

Note: Upgrading the agent found in the ARCServe 2000 SP2 CD to current SP3 or current SP4 will *NOT* work either since is an entirely different agent.

I was then able to do a brick level on a single email in a separate folder in Outlook and was able to restore successfully.

Also did a backup on just the complete infostore 20 some odd gigs at 430 mb/min. Took about 45 minutes. No errors encountered.

But, when I added the Info store, we are not doing Brick Level at all (this is purely for disaster recovery), to our regular backup job I encountered an error E8608 Failed to Enumarate the databases...

On the patches page you will find a cumulative update for the agent QO22840. I have just installed this patch and I hope that it cures this latest malady.

Location of key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\DSAgent\CurrentVersion\agent\dbaxchg

Regards and good luck...

Len

Really felt that "got somebody to save me" when i saw this thread, howeve, when i tried to patch with SP3, even SP4, the problem stated by Tomgrave still comes. I tried to use the exchuser.exe utility coming with SP4 to created a new user, but that user faces the same problem also.

Anybody can help?

Hi,

Is the Exchange server on a DC or a Member??
If it is on a member server and you have already created a domain account with all the permissions, log in LOCALLY and run the agent configuration.

If you are using Exchuser.exe , login as a user who is both a domain admin and an exchange admin.

nimgnay,
please set the permissions for the user in question, on DOMAIN CONTROLLER SECURITY policy.

hope this helps

cheers
speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

thanks a lot, Speshalyst, for your suggestion. I believe i have set the permission in the Domain Controller Security, but the problem still exists.

I am running the Exchange Agent on a DC, but the ArcServe is on a standalone server.

To Nimgnay:

Do not patch the SP2 client with SP3 or SP4 even. All you are doing is upgrading the incorrect client which is for Exchange 5.5.

You must uninstall the SP2 client altogether and reinstall using SP3 and higher release of the Exchange agent. These are the builds for Exchange 2000.

Regards,
Len

Hi, Manuchau

I did unzip the SP3, and use the setup.exe inside to install the Exchange Agent, then patch it with SP4. However, the problem is still there.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.

Rgds
Nimgnay

Hi,

Have named your Exchange server as "Server"???
You might wonder why I am asking you ...
there was a problem configuring the Exchange agent if the Exchange server was called "server"

Cheers
speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

My exchange server is installed on the PDC, and the server name is called "company-dc".

I tried to install the ArcServe 9, and the problem is solved.

Any explaination?

I've been trying to get the Exchange Agent working on my Exchange 2000 server as well with no luck. I'm sure it has to do with the service pack level issue because I received no errors during configuration, it just doesn't work when I go to back it up. I don't even see the Stores in the Arcserve Manager. One of the Posts mentioned installing the agent from the SP3 package rather then upgrading teh agent after it is installed. How can you do this? I tried and I can not choose the agent unless I have a previous version installed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back