Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup not detecting presence of media

Status
Not open for further replies.

skunkrat

Technical User
Mar 11, 2005
GB
my backup jobs have just suddenly stopped working no changes have been made

job i sset to overwrite media
tape is inserted daily
but job fail with the error of no overwritable media present i cant catalouge a tape either would you agree this is a hardware problem anybody any sugestions before i call out the hardware guys

many thanks

You don't give enough information for us to agree or disagree.

Right click on the failed job and check the job log...does any part of the data get backed up?

Any related errors in the alert tab or in Windows Event Viewer Logs?

Are these old or new tapes?
Do the tapes have the 'write-protect' tab moved to the locked position?

Are you positive the tapes are set to Overwrite Protection - NONE?

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks you are right there really wasnt enough info.

this is a full backup set to overwrite every day the tabs are set correctly to allow overwrite the and the protection is set to none

the tapes are about a year old the drive has been cleaned cables checked services restarted powered off/on

the problem satrted with an evvent error on the backup job
ie. 17 data errors (crc) this was about 3/4 through the backup

i just put this down to a bad tape and replaced it with a new one

recent event erors adamm move error unload status failed error_io device "tape drive name"
?

now when a tape is put in i inventory the drive there is no media present i have only been able to get a bad media message from the inventory 2 times every other time it just appears as no media

i would welcome any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back