Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup MX - SMTP Spool Software???

Status
Not open for further replies.

v3user

Technical User
Aug 8, 2006
US
Does anyone know of any SMTP spooling software (store and forward) that I can load on a remote server to use as a backup MX? I've seen the services that noIP.com provides and I have two other remote sites apart from my primary site that I can host my own backup MX servers, I'd rather pay for the software if there is any instead of trusting someone else to do it for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Unless you have a very high volume email need, a backup MX server does very little to help since message delivery will be held by the sending server for up to 72 hours if your primary MX server is not responding.

So, I don't quite understand why you want to do it this way. I configure backup MX servers for my clients just for their peace of mind... by designating their web server's mail server as the secondary. We then configure the Exchange POP3 Connector found in SBS to poll for any errant messages on a regular basis.

So if you were to set up your own off-site server you don't need any special software, just any mail server will do.

Jeff
TechSoEasy

Yeah we probably won't use it much but in the passed there's been few complaints of undeliverable email. For some reason someone will decide to send us email at 3am when we just happen to be doing maintenance. While most servers do continue to retry there is always some that simply don't for whatever reason.

Anyways I never thought about trying what you've done with the pop3 connector, not a bad idea, think I'll give it a try

Keep in mind that secondary MX records are now prime spam targets, since many companies don't implement antispam measure on the backup MX systems.

They are also prime relay targets.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

If you're doing maintenance at 3am and someone sends you mail, it won't bounce. Because your mail server is recorded in a publically accessible DNS Zone file, the sending server will recognize that the server exists, but is just unreachable. In that case, the sending server will queue the message for later delivery. Usually this is defaulted to retry regularly for up to 48 or 72 hours before actually bouncing the message.

Now, if you are doing maintenance on your public DNS Zone file and it's not available there could be a bounce that occurs. That's why you want to have your DNS hosted somewhere reliable and to follow the recommendation to have two Name Servers in different places as well.

Jeff
TechSoEasy

I guess thats another problem, my name server is the exchange server(SBS2003).

You should NOT be running a public name server for your domain name yourself, especially on an SBS. Generally, your domain registrar will offer DNS Service, but if not, you can always use a third party such as ZoneEdit.com.

Are you sure that you're PUBLIC Name Server is your SBS though? What name servers are listed when you do a lookup at ?

Jeff
TechSoEasy

Yes Small business server 2003, I guess I can probably just port forward public dns requests to another of my machines.

You really shouldn't be running a public DNS on your LAN at all if you want any kind of availability and security.

Jeff
TechSoEasy

I use ZoneEdit ( all my external DNS hosting needs. It costs about $10/year per domain, and you can add backup MX service. They are very reliable and have been solid as a backup when my mail servers go offline or when something forces me to re-ip a server. It's a time and money savings, believe me.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back