Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Media Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahL

MIS
Mar 5, 2004
GB
We are getting the following error message on Backup Exec version 9 running on a win 2000 server.

Job ended: 05 March 2004 at 00:30:06
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a00084ca HEX
Final error description: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Final error category: Backup Media Errors

Any ideas?

Is the file in question being changed during backup? After Backup Exec completes a backup, it runs a Verify to ensure that the files backed up are all accounted for. If a file is changed after being backed up but before the verify, you may get this message.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

SarahL

If you get that for all backups..

Clean the drive a couple of times, use brand new tapes.

You could also have bad tapes.

If it still happens, look at swapping the hardware out.

I have Backup Exec for Windows SBS 2003 9.1 installed on a single server environment. Backup-to-Disk media is a shared hard drive on a separate machine. Tape is not used.

Running a full backup of C:,D:,Exchange Mailboxes, Public Folders, Information Store and Shadow Copy Components (System State).

The backup appears to complete and most of the files verify ok. Then the job fails on verifying the Shadow Copy Components with this error:

0xa00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Why won't my System State verify?

Windows Event Log shows two errors:

57612 - A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device

34113 - Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "NAME") (Job: "JOB") JOB -- The job failed with the following error: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Penman75: I'm having the exact same problem. This started when I started backing up to disk (and then running a duplicate job to tape). Did you ever find a solution? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
--Kip

Anyone ever solve this? I even had a support ticket opened with Veritas and they couldn't solve it. They basically told me that since the log reports that "0 files were different" that it's a bug and to forget about it.

I have 5 different servers backing up to disk folders on 1 media server.

Verifies of system states from all 5 servers fail with the "media inconsistent" crap.

I'd sure like to see a solution to this.

No real solution, but a work-around was to not use the Advanced Open File Option. For me, the problem was when verifying the "System State". I hate not using the Open File Option... but VSS is being backed up, so theoretically, I should be getting everything. I guess???

That sucks. What's even more stupid is that if I do a backup of a system state only with verify it works. It only fails on the verify if there are other items in the backup like C:\ and D:\.

Just the system state backs up and verifies perfectly. But modify that exact same job to add even one more item and it fails. :/

Veritas needs to give us a solution to this problem!

Add me to the list of people with the exact same problem.
I haven't seem to found any work around yet.

The only work around I have found that allows you to keep the open file option on is to make a separate backup job for each server for each system state. And by the way, my problem happens whether or not Open file option is used.

If you run a backup of 1 "shadow copy components" from 1 srrver only, it will backup and verify.

For my situation with 5 servers, I have 1 backup job which backs up all servers EXCEPT the shadow copy components. Then in the early morning I have 5 backup jobs, 1 for each shadow copy component from each server.

It sucks but at least I can leave open file option on and get "successful" backups.

Come on Veritas, help us out.

I'm one of you as well, I keep getting the same error, 'Data being read is inconsistent', I also get 'a000feab HEX
Final error description: Corrupt data encountered - See job log for details'.

Veritas is not interested in resolving these issues

Job ended: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 at 6:29:48 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in EXABYTE 3.

We are having the same problem. (Verify Fails)
Only backing up one drive (No system state), which No one has write or modify access to.
We are not using the OFO.
Using a virtual tape backup then to physical tape.
When I try and restore, it fails at a certain file every time.
so I skipped that file and it stops at another. After going through this process several times, the restore finally completes.
Ran a Scandisk on that drive and still going through the same headache.

Any suggestions yet?

Many thanks,

Adam

We are getting the exact same error on a customers site, appears to have only started in the last few weeks and we cannot put it down to anything changing on the server. It is always files within the Exchange store but not the same files every single night. I have found lots of posts on various forums / websites with people having same issue but no resolution.

Any one out there with any advice then it would be appreciated.

Regards
Debbie

I updated Veritas 9.0 to 9.1 with all the latest Service Packs and Hotfixes and it has been running fine since then, as long as I remember to erase and inventory the tapes each time I change them. If I don't erase the tape I get the error again. I do believe updating the software is the main thing though since before I updated I had also been erasing the tapes but still received the error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back