Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

felon

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
CA

I am using backup exec 9.1 on Windows 2003 server. We just put in a Redhat Enterprise Server ES 3.0 and I would like to back it up.

Anyone know what the easiest way is to do this?

Thanks

Hi
If you want backup your Linux system, from a Win system...
I think you should use Samba, so your Win machine will see your Linux and could backup data.

What do you think?
;-)

You have two options here since I'm assumimg you want to use BackupExec to do the backups for the Linux server:

1. As MrPtt said you can use SAMBA and mount file systems on the Windows Server as regular network drives. This involces no cost, you don't even have to purchase any additional license from Veritas. We do this for a few of our Solaris and Linux and it works great.

2. Purchase a license for BackupExec to run an agent on the Linux server. Assuming BackupExec has a Linux agent.

Hope this helps.

The ONE ( HP-UX + Solaris + AIX + Tru64 = Unix)

I have never setup Samba before, however, I understand what it's use is.

Anyone have a step-by-step on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

SAMBA comes with documentation, you can also check the SAMBA site ( Setup is very easy and straight forward so you shouldn't have any problems. If you do just you can check the SAMBA forum on this site or make a new post.

Basic steps:

1. Install SAMBA
2. Config of smb.conf file
3. If you need be a member of Windows domain (for Windows authentication) then add Linux server to WINS.
4. Add server to Windows domain.

Snr Unix System Admin/DBA
Digicel Jamaica (

I am having trouble authenticating from my back up server (win2003)to the linux server.

Basically, I am trying to backup the data by mapping a drive to the Samba share. I can see the Linux server in the browse list, but I can map it.

Is there anyone who might know why?

Thanks

I have the agent installed, but I am not sure I have the fields in agent.cfg file configured properly.

name <>
password <>
export </mnt/data> as <mysqldata> [write_protected] assword <passwd>] [include_remote] [no_nfs_locking]
tell <prodsrch01>
tell_interval <60>
follow_symdirs
exclude_file <filename>
exclude_dir <directory name>

Can someone help me with these fields please. I know there is an explanation below, but they are not clear as far as I am concerned.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back