Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup job skips SQL databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Trying to backup SQL database; we have correct SQL agents, licenses, etc. installed. When I view job logs I see this msg for every database and its log file:

Unable to open the item \MSSQL7\Data\DB_NAME.MDF - skipped.
Unable to open the item \MSSQL7\Data\DB_NAME.ldf - skipped.

Anyone know what's causing this? I haven't changed passwords and everything is the same as before I installed BE...
Thanks,
Adrian.

You have to actually exclude the databases in the file selection and let the agent pick them up. so under you sql directory: \MSSQL7\Data\DB_NAME.MDF - \MSSQL7Data\DB_NAME.ldf -

you need to deselect the above and It WILL work. I promise

good luck

Well, I tried it and no luck. It didn't do anything at all with SQL stuff. Any other suggestions? I've got BE loaded on our PDC along with SQL & Exchange Agents, etc. and it's backing up 4 servers. Apart from SQL, everything else seems to be backing up correctly. Any help is appreciated...

The reason you cannot backup the physical files is that they are in use (services are running, dbs are open).

You can EITHER use the SQL agent to log into the database and pull the contents to tape or you can cheat and save money on agents...

Using SQL 7 (cos 6.5 you have to write the SQL manually), create a backup maintenance job. Get it to dump the SQL database/s to disk and then pull them to tape. No agents and a lot more resilient. If your SQL goes pear shaped, you can restore from disk which is faster than tape. If the server goes, restore from tape.

Damn but I'm good.

I am having a load of problem med with BE 8.0 and Oracle NT Agent when trying to backup Oracle DB's.
The jobs run from 15 - 30 seconds and then halt and say "Unable to attach to database blahblah. Access is denied".
I have used the System account with the agent, I have created a new account didn't work, so then I was like "oh ok, it has to be because the db's are in use" but heeell no. I ran the backups during night time, when only selects are made from the database, no changes. Still doesn't work.
Geez guys, please help me if you can, I'd appricate it.

Regards,
Marcus

While the databases are running (services running), the file are opened for use. Therefore even at night you cannot do it.

Access denied is an NT problem. Not Backup Exec. Find the account used for the BE services and log onto Oracle and you should get the same error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back