Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup ignoring some folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesussc

MIS
Jul 30, 2003
US
Hi, a new client I created using G:\Share as the save set, is skipping some folders inside that G:\Share.
There is not message or error, just like if the folders don't exist.
Both server and client are Win 2000 Networekr 6.1.3
Any idea?

JS

Have you checked the dates on the client and server against the dates on these folders/files?

Are you using directives inside that client ressource ?

The only thing is that since this files where copied from another server the modification time is older than the creation time. Does it matter?

And, yes I'm using directives to exclude some extencions but this shouldn't be afecting this files.

JS

Do not forget that you could use "local" directives.
Look for "nsr.dir" files in the sructure of the save set
directory. They might have been created for other purposes
and might have just been forgotten.

Look whether they contain skip statements as well.

I am getting the same problem when trying to backup a complete drive. The backup is backing up 5Gb but the disk has 30Gb in use.

No directives are set at all on this client.

I have a call raised regarding this with a Legato reseller but it appears to be baffling them too!

Any help would be appreciated. I have found that if I logon to the server and select the complete e:\ drive the backup again only backs up 5Gb, however if I select the main folder e:\data the backup quite happily backs up about 25Gb.

Thanx

It really looks like a local directive were created.
Have you searched for "nsr.dir" files on that client ?

Thanx for your reply.

Yes I have searched for nsr.dir on the client, also I searched for any .dir files in case networker was misinterpreting them as nsr.dir files. There were about 9 mscreate.dir files (These are files the Office find fast creates) so deleted these.

Problem still exists.

I've currently no idea of what your problem might be but ... have you take look at rights ?

Maybe you could try to start the Networker Remote Exec service as "Domain Administrator" instead of localsystem and then try to backup again.

It could be a nice test ...

yeah tried running the scheduled backup with my own username and password as I am the administrator and it still failed :-(

It's certainly a weird one, it's thrown me, I have even applied the system account to just the top few folders and it's still failing!!!

I have currently tried the following:-

Selected e:\ Top Level -Backup failed.

Selected e:\ all files in route
e:\ then all folders under e:\ -Backup failed.

Selected e:\ all files in route -Backup failed.
e:\apps
e:\data
e:\home
e:\profiles
e:\spool

Selected e:\ all files in route -Backup worked.

Selected e:\ all files in route -Backup worked.

Selected e:\ all files in route -Still running!!!
e:\profiles

I am going to work my way down the top level directory structure until it fails!!! Hopefully may show up something then.

Change permission on one of hte folders, then change it back. The dummy update may have an effect.

Well, after numerous hours of head banging I have come across the problem.

It was a problem with dfs! On the client in question dfs had been installed and was treating e:\data as a mount point.

This being the case Networker which ignores dfs mount points for obvious reasons was treating the e:\data folder as a dfs share and completely ignoring it.

Thanx to all for their help, if Jesussc is still having problems then please feel free to drop me another post and I will explain further.

Yes I'm still having problems.
we do have dfs, what did you do?

Thanks.
JS

Hi Jesussc,

If you would like to communicate via email rather than forums my email address is jon.kerslake@devonport.co.uk

Basically if you log onto the client in question and from Networker user fire off a complete manual backup you should see at some point Legato skipping a complete folder with a double backslash, i.e.

E:\Data\
It will then carry on backing up everything else but the entire folder structure will be missed. This then let me to the question why was Legato skipping with this double backslash. In the end I tracked it down to Legato ignoring dfs roots for obvious reasons, i.e. if it didn't your complete dfs stucture would be backed up every night.

Whilst I was working on this problem which took about a week to figure out I backed up the folder it was skipping manually using Networker user until I found the solution, you may wish do to the same.

Two issues existed in our case which was causing the above problem.

1) dfs was installed on Plhfile017 (the client with the problem) which needed completely removing, at present when users access O:\pathworks-G-drive they are being pointed to \\plhfile017\data\pathworks-G-drive. They should have been sent to \\plhfile017\data$\pathworks-G-drive. We needed to update this entry in dfs on Plhfile013,014 and 015 (Clients 013,014 and 015 are our dfs servers).

2) The other issue was the share point on Plhfile017 (Basically this meant dfs was installed on plhfile017 when it shouldn't have been) of Data, this needed removing.

Solution is as follows:-

Using dfs administrator delete the old entry of \\plhfile017\data\Pathworks-G-Drive and create a new one to point to \\plhfile017\data$\Pathworks-G-Drive. This needed to be carried out on Plhfile013, 014 and 015.

Logon to Plhfile017 and load dfs administrator from the Start Menu and remove the dfs entry that exists \\Plhfile017\Data. Now go to the network applet in control panel, go to the services tab and highlight Distributed File System then click remove. Allow the server to reboot.

On Phlfile017 go to explorer and go to the Shared Directories folder, scroll down to the share called Data and delete it (If it still exists).

To check that the dfs entries have been updated correctly, reboot your workstation and then from the run command try accessing \\plhfile013\data, \\plhfile014\data and \\plhfile015\data then go to Pathworks-G-Drive folder, also try browsing down the O:\ drive tree to check that the folder is available.

I hope that I have made sense there, like I say any queries feel free to drop me an email, let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back