Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup IBM DB2 with TSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Difan

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2007
CA
We have a IBM DB2 server and it's been setup to be regularly backed up by using TSM. Recently we created a new database instance and we also want to back it up with TSM. How can I add this database instance to the existing backup scheme? Our network guy just left and I know nothing about TSM... I have been doing research for a whole weekend but I still couldn't find out how to do it. Our IBM DB2 Server is built on Red Hat Linux 3.2.3. The TSM server is built on Windows 2000 and its version is 5 release 3. I will really appreciate if someone can help me out soon!

If you are using TDP and you just run a backup of your DB2 through TDP - it should just pick it up, no?

I am not sure if I am using TDP. How can I find out? I thought I just need to add the new database to the configuration file dsm.opt or dsm.sys, but they they don't have these options. How can I specify a file to backup and create a backup schedule for it? Thanks for the reply anyway!

you can backup db2 with the help of db2 control center

first you have to configure the database recovery parameters : ts_password, tsm_nodename, tsm_mgmtclass

Hi

Take a look at IBM Redbook sg246247 - it deals specifically with backing up DB2 with TSM.

I don't believe there is a TDP product for DB2; instead support for TSM is coded into DB2 (as is the case with Informix)

You'll still need the B/A Client API - but if you're already backing up DB2 to TSM, then you must have the API installed.

HTH

Have Fun !
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Thank you guys for reply! I am reading the redbook and I find it very helpful too. However I just couldn't find how to specify a file and add it to the backup scheme... I checked dsm.sys and dsm.opt, they seem don't have this option. All other parameters ts_password, tsm_nodename, tsm_mgmtclass have been setup too. Where should I go to configure which file I want to backup and which file I don't want, on the client node or the TSM server?

This is the dsm.sys file in the api folder. I don't think we are using TDP.

SErvername stg-db82
COMMmethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress stg-tsm.siemenstransport.com
NODename stg-db82
PASSWORDAccess Generate
include /.../FULL_BACKUP.* STG-DB2-MC-FULL
include /.../*.LOG STG-DB2-MC-INC

What is /.../?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search