Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup HP-UX directory to a DDS tape in a Windows box

Status
Not open for further replies.

eepico

MIS
Jan 6, 2002
HK
Hi, y'all:

I am trying to backup a whole directory for a HP-UX 10.20 box which for some reasons cannot add a DDS tape drive attached to it from a Window 2003 box which has a DDS drive attached. Anyone out there has experience on how to do that at night time without being interact with human hands?

Thanks!
Jack

Why not tar up the directory (depending on size) and ftp it over to the Windows Server?

Another way is to install Samba, and mount the HP-UX Filesystem to the windows server and back it up as a network drive.

Thanks reply. I have also considered using Samba but my HP box is too old and only have hp-ux 10.20 installed and there is no any Samba port for 10.20 on the web and I guess the box don't have many required libraries for the source code to compile...

The directory I need to backup is now totally over 1.9GB and it will grow! The tar file eventually will be over 2GB. It will be also possible to over 2GB even after bzip2 the tar in the future... How does Windows 2003 treat this over 2GB single file? I can split them by bytes and ftp to Windows and move them to the DDS but I think once when I need to restore some of the files from those splited files, it is not so pratical. Am I correct?

It sounds as if this is a "real" requirement rather than something you need to do just the once.

Much better to physically add a DDS drive to the HP-UX box; I've done this kind of thing (ftp'ing files to windows boxes etc) and that way lies madness. Or at least unreliable backups that will drive you there.

Mike

To err is human,
but to really foul things up -
you require a man Mike.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back