Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup goes but gets to 99% Loading Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

sslevy

Technical User
Aug 14, 2001
US
Our backup of our exchange server was working perfectly for months..All of a sudden its starts getting stuck at 99% Loading media. The tape ejects. its backing up about 15.5GB data in a 12/24 drive. if i punch the tape back in it goes to status of Failed and ejects the tape again.

any idea what could be causing this..all we are backing up is the info store and the system states. Its backup exec 8.6 and win2k sp3 exchg 2000. we are also going to upgrade to win2k3 exchg2k3 in about 2 weeks and i want to make sure the back up runs smoothly

event viewer shows nothing

thanks

i'd try a new tape. If I read your post right, it's not loading completely. So either the tape is malfunctioning or the connection between the tape machine and the computer connected to it is failing. Try tightening the scsi cables, etc. Best of luck.

i've tried new tapes, same thing. i'm thinking the drive itself is failing.

its a dat-3 12/24 tape
it seems to back up 99% of the 15gb it needs to then it goes to loading media...am i out of tape? its set to overwrite the media.

our setup is
Win2k server sp4 all patches
exchange 2k sp 3
compaq 12/24 dat tape drive.
backup exec 8.6 --just backing up the info store and the system state

we are getting a new server..should be here tomorrow,but we want a proper backup done.

the registry thing didn't work...still does same thing
Thanks
Shari

Would suggest that the tape is full.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Yeah, it sounds like you have exceeded the capacity of a single tape. The drive may be possible of 25gb compressed capacity, but its rare that you get anywhere near that amount.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

yeah, it ran out tape..
i popped in another one and told it overwrite it and boom the rest started backing up... it was backing up 20gb total of data..

new server going in with 35gb tape backup on sunday

thanks for all the help and advice.

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back