Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup from SQL7...restore to SQL 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolage

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2005
hey all, hope this is the right spot to put this,

I have a SQL 7.0 database backup that I would like to restore to a SQL 2000 box, is there a way to do this?

thanks in advance for any leads,

~koolage

Yes, do a full backup then restore as normal to the SQL 2000 server. You will not however be able to backup from SQL 2000 and restore to the SQL 7 server.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Hi Denny,

On a related note, I used to restore backups of a SQL 7 DB to a SQL 2000 environment and received errors regarding replication (it restored fine but I had to then recreate replication and drop it). Is there any way (switches / params etc.) that would stop the errors. Sorry, I cant remember them off the top of my head, but live was using transactional replication and test wasnt. Live was SQL 7 and test was SQL 2000.

Cheers,

M.

There is a flag that can be used to keep the replication working correctly. When doing the restore use the KEEP_REPLICATION flag on the RESTORE DATABASE command.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back