Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup freezes after loading 2nd tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

kantola

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2003
US
I am running BrightStor ARCServe 9 and I am running a nightly backup on an IBM LTO library with two LTO 1 drives. When it fills up the first tape, it will load a second tape, but it stays at 0MB processed and will hang there indefinitely. If I stop the job, it will change status to "Stopping" but will never move past that point.. I have even let it go for a full day just to see if it ever did anything on it's own. The only way I have found to wake it up is to reboot the server, at which point the job's last result will be labeled as Crashed and the job will be on hold. This occurs every single time. I would appreciate any help or suggestions, thanks!

I am pretty sure they are running... I will check on this, and disable them and report back in the morning after the backup has run again. Thanks!

I checked on it this morning and even with the OS drivers disabled, the problem is still present.

Well I just realized there were several patches that I had not applied.. so I have just installed the 9.01 update, the 4a patch, and the device support patch 1 so we'll see if that takes care of it when the backups run again tonight.

I am sure it was done, but just to make sure, after the devices are disabled in the OS Device Manager it is necessary to restart the system for it to take effect. Prior to that the drivers will be reported as disable but they are still infact running.

I did indeed reboot the server after disabling the device drivers. Thanks for your help so far, I'll let you know how it goes after the next backup.

Well everything looks fine this morning. The backups succesfully completed so it would appear as if the patches did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back