Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup for SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2002
US
I do not know much about SAN. From what I know about NAS, they are very difficult to fit into a server based backup scheme. Does SAN provide an easier/faster way for backing up its data? Most of the data on any network storage would still need to be put to tape at some point, I'd think. How are people getting around this bottleneck in the real world?

TIA
blah

I'm still learning about SAN environments, but backups have not been a problem.

We run CA's BrightStor product on the 3 servers currently in the SAN. One server is a master that controls the backups, the other 2 are secondaries. We backup to a dual 100 Gb drive library. Each server has it's own tape every night. I would like to back them all up onto one tape, but haven't spent enough time to figure it out.

The biggest problem is remembering to change out the weekly and monthly tapes.

In the datacenter where I work, the storage systems (mainly HDS, EMC and XP256) are where possible fibre channel attached directoy into the backup network. This enable our backup software (Veritas NetBackup DataCenter) to move data through the SAN instead of through the LAN, which minimizes the use of LAN.

Ola...

We are using the HP/6-60 backup device with HP OmniBack software. I am backing up servers across the fiber connection and the lan connection. Quite a bit of configuration, but it is well worth it. The newest set back i have encountered is the speed differences between Lan and fiber. I have only got a 50% speed improvement since i put X servers over to fiber. Apparently i might not have a fast enough bus on the pci slots of the servers to push the data as fast as the backup device can handle it.

the key to your success will rest both witht he architecture that you use when implementing your SAN as well as the software that you choose for your backup scenario. Ideally you want to be able to push the data direct from the array to the library without involving a server.

NetVault software has alot of built in functionality that supports this type of setup. You will need to consider the equipment as well...will it support what you are trying to do.

The software will laos allow you to "stripe" data, much like a disk array does, as your data base grows. this would allow you to decrease or maintain a BU window as the database grows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back