Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup for ADSL users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kv123

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2003
HR
Hello all,

I would appreciate if anyone can help me on this.. I have a 2811 with two connections to Internet, Frame Relay and ADSL. One part of LAN IP adresses will go via Frame Relay and other via ADSL to Internet. For this, I will use policy-based routing feature. But, the problem is when ADSL fails I want that all users go via FR to Internet. I could done that via SAA, but for next-hop I don't have fix IP address on Dialer interface.

Anyone has a solution?

Thanks,
Ivana

can you not specify the outgoing interface as the next hop interface?

Hello....

You might try setting up secondary routes for anything that goes out the DSL through the FR connection.

DSL
ip route 65.130.20.10 255.255.255.255 140.180.250.2
FR
ip route 65.130.20.10 255.555.255.255 dialer0 200

With both routes available and the secondary with a higher administrative distance will not be used unless primary is down. So you could actually setup secondary routes for FR connections to go to dsl should FR fail. Easy to test by shutting down the interface and check for connectivity.
Are you running any VPN connection out the DSL interface?

The problem with DSL(using a dsl 'modem') is that the local interface won't go down unless the modem takes a dive, which is rare, thus making floating static routes useless. Ivana, use SAA and point it to a reliable address - it shouldn't have to be a next hop.

I tried SAA, but the problem is following:

track 124 rtr 2 reachability

rtr 2
type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 216.239.59.104
rtr schedule 2 life forever start-time now

and route-map ivana permit 10
match ip address 3
set ip next-hop verify-availability 216.239.59.104 10 track 124

Problem is I cannot set some address on the Internet as next hop.

Can I do it with following option:
route-map ivana permit 10
match ip address 3
set default interface Dialer1 Serial0/3/0

so, when it cannot go via Dialer1(ADSL), it will go via Serial interface (Frame Relay)

Thanks,
Ivana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back