Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

reutev

MIS
Aug 20, 2002
US
Around the same time each day, the backup for our File Server fails. The time is just short of 9 minutes. The error msg. when I monitor the job shows, "Driver Hardware is offline, please confirm Driver Hardware is Powered and properly cabled."

I did check all of this and it is online. Is there any other reason why it would not recognize the driver after a certain amount of time? If anybody has had anything similar please let me know. Thanks for any help, Vince

Hi, I'd love to know what's causing this because I'm using a Compaq ML370 server with a DDS4 DAT drive which has already been replaced once to resolve this issue.

The backup will fail just after 7 minutes and tell me that the drive hardware is offline. I've updated the drivers but it still doesn't want to work. I'd say my backup will fail 2 out of 5 times per week. I'm using Vertias Backup Exec 8.5

Please help if anyone else has seen this problem!

I have had the exact same issue with a Compaq ML370. I am using an AIT drive. I called Compaq and they had me update the firmware on the drive. As of today, I have not had the issue reoccur but I am still waiting to see if I have another failure.

A customer of mine had a similar problem with an HP Ultrium external tape drive and Veritas 8.6. The backup ran without problem for about two months, then the "The Drive Hardware is Offline" error occured. This was true after updating the firmware, reboot, etc.

I found the following article:

"I have read something about stopping "The Removable Storage" service, which could mess up things."

I have changed the startup type to be disabled. I don't have any feedback yet if this is the solution, but I am betting that this will solve the problem.

Hope this helps...

Did you check the System event viewer on the Backup server? I'd wager a guess that there are some event id 9 or 11 errors (see Microsoft Q article Q154690) that are indications of some hardware issue. Keep in mind, its not always a simple as just swapping out the drive. It could be the cable (look at the pins carefully and make sure none are shorter than others or bent). Add up the total SCSI cable length and verify that it doesn't exceed the length SCSI type that is in use (SCSI-2, LVD, etc.). Try a different terminator, in case the one you are using is bad. Check the SCSI settings for that SCSI ID on the SCSI card and contact the SCSI card manufacturer for suggested settings on a tape drive ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back